Lonestar 2x12 Combo -- Speaker + Cab question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weimin108

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Previously only a lurker, now a new member.

Currently a bit confused over what will work best for me in terms of Speakers, ext cabs, and ohm's.

I had 2 Celestion V30's I took out from my LSS setup and now they are running in replacement of the
stock blackshadows of the LSC. Only concern is that I had 8ohm V30's for the LSS, now I am running them
parallel and into the 4ohm input of the LSC. (8 ohm input is empty)

It sounds good -- but I have a nice 26-3/4" Mesa Boogie 1x12 cab that I could put another V30 into.
Not sure if I should buy a V30 8ohm and plug it into the other 4ohm input in the back..... OR purchase
a V30 16ohm and plug it into the 8ohm input in the back.

I tried putting a blackshadow into the ext cab and I didn't like tone of the 2 types of speakers together.

If I was to throw more money away, I could see myself buying a Rectifier 2x12 with V30's in it (8ohm again)
then I will be using both 4ohm inputs in the back.

I've read on another site that when the 8ohms is not used, I'm not getting the best sound, but isn't that preference based?
I personally like the 2x12 V30's 8ohm I have in right now, but would like to get a EXT cab setup.

Please advise, sorry for such a long and boring first post. =)

I think I may have found my answer:

I can keep my 2 V30 - 8ohms wired in parallel inside the combo amp for one of the 4ohm inputs in the rear.

Then get a rectifier 2x12 with V30 - 8 ohms, re-wired it to serial (16ohms), then I can plug it into the 8ohm input in the rear.

That's a match am I not correct?

As long as you keep the load to the amp at 4ohms your good. 2 cabs are better than one IMO. Gets you that wall of sound. Different speakers in different cabs (or mixed in a cab) can create a broader, fuller, more complex mix. My home rig with my band is a stereo amp rig with 3 ext cabs, 5 cabs in all. Consisting of 5 different speakers as well.

plan-x said:
As long as you keep the load to the amp at 4ohms your good. 2 cabs are better than one IMO. Gets you that wall of sound. Different speakers in different cabs (or mixed in a cab) can create a broader, fuller, more complex mix. My home rig with my band is a stereo amp rig with 3 ext cabs, 5 cabs in all. Consisting of 5 different speakers as well.

Thanks for the reply plan-x,

I just brought home a 2x12 Mesa Rectifier cab with v30's in it. (8ohms)

I'm planning on returning it as I find its too muffly-bassy (I tried changing the EQ's)
When unplugging it and just playing out of my combo, I found the sound to be
much clearer, tigher.

When you plug in an ext-cab --- does it weaken the amp output in general?

Hmmm, maybe a 3/4 back will do for reducing a boomy bass. Output drop? You mean volume? I really hadn't noticed any. The Lonestars are powerful amps.

weimin108 said:
I think I may have found my answer:

I can keep my 2 V30 - 8ohms wired in parallel inside the combo amp for one of the 4ohm inputs in the rear.

Then get a rectifier 2x12 with V30 - 8 ohms, re-wired it to serial (16ohms), then I can plug it into the 8ohm input in the rear.

That's a match am I not correct?

Actually, no.
Now this gets a bit weird, but it really is true...

Those two "four ohm" speaker jacks?
Those are meant to see an 8 ohm load in each one.
Yes. Oh, yes.

They are not really meant for a four ohm load in each.
I know, that's what the label below the jack says, but like I said, Mesa is weird.
EIGHT ohms in each four ohm jack is "correct".
Then the Total Load is FOUR OHMS, which is what Mesa means by the mis-leading labels.

"2 V30 - 8ohms wired in parallel inside the combo" PLUS "a rectifier 2x12 with V30 - 8 ohms, rewired to serial (16ohms)", will yield (4 ohms + 16 ohms) in parallel, for a total load of 3.2 ohms. Not dangerous, but not a perfect match for an amp optimized for 8 ohms.

If you wire the internal speakers in series, for 16 ohms, then get the 2 x 12 cab also at 16 ohms in series, then hook both those loads to the two four ohm jacks, the total load will be 8 ohms (two 16 ohm loads in parallel = 8 ohms). Abracadabra, just what you want.

If you download the LS manual at the Mesa website, there's pages and pages of speaker hook-up options listed in the back, with illustrations.

Hi boys, thanks so much for all the replies. I figured it all out talking to a Mesa Tech and reading the manual carefully.

You should always try to go for the "Safe Match" in my opinion.

I tried a few of the "Safe Mismatches" and did not like the volume drop, nor the drop in Brightness and attack.

Just remember that the two 4ohm inputs in the back of the amp are actually connected parallel to each other inside.

They are not in anyway independent from each other.

So for example if you plug in 2 cabs that are both 8ohm output, you will plug them each into the 2x 4ohm inputs
in the back of the amp, then through internal parallel connection, you will have the proper 4ohm connection between
amp and cabs.

Old but good article:

http://mesaboogie.com/news/2013/06/mesaboogie-speaker-impedance-matching-and-hook-up-part-1/

Also in general you'll want to stay away from having a 4ohm cabinet output as most boogies won't allow a SAFE MATCH
once you plug it into the amp (see article).

Thanks

weimin108 said:
...So for example if you plug in 2 cabs that are both 8ohm output, you will plug them each into the 2x 4ohm inputs
in the back of the amp, then through internal parallel connection, the amp will receive a proper 4ohms from both cabs....
Except, the amp doesn't "receive" anything from the cabs. The signal is moving in the other direction, from the amp to the speaker(s).
To get real technical, the amplifier's output transformer is "seeing" the speaker load, which, in this case, is four ohms.

MrMarkIII said:
weimin108 said:
...So for example if you plug in 2 cabs that are both 8ohm output, you will plug them each into the 2x 4ohm inputs
in the back of the amp, then through internal parallel connection, the amp will receive a proper 4ohms from both cabs....
Except, the amp doesn't "receive" anything from the cabs. The signal is moving in the other direction, from the amp to the speaker(s).
To get real technical, the amplifier's output transformer is "seeing" the speaker load, which, in this case, is four ohms.

Yes, correct!

And btw -- I kept the rectifier 2x12 cab. The cab sounded much better with the proper load, and I also put it back on it's casters to lessen the bass. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back