Lonestar Classic Head to 4/12 cab favorable ohm mismatch

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToneDrone

Reaction score
Hello all, My first post here. After reading a good number of posts in which a good number of LSC owners express a bit of unhappiness usually with channel 2, I thought perhaps I can help a few of you out ? I've owned my LSC for 7 years now, and I'm still learning ! I have the long head on a custom rectofier standard slant cab, in the blue bronco silver tolex finish. I was one of those unhappy people who couldn't get channel 2 to sound right. Channel 1 was always very good, but I thought that channel 1 could also be better. I went with the "Favorable" ohm mismatch in my set up, This is when your cab is wired at 8 ohms, and you power it from the heads 4 ohm output jack. To my ears, the sound got much warmer and easy on the ears. Hope this helps someone out.

Interesting you favour EL34's. I love them in the MKV and Matchless Indy but find they are too "narrow" in the LSC. I usually use =C=s

I got CH2 to be more responsive after tuning the preamp section with a mix of 12ax7's

V1 Tungsol
V2 =C=
V3 Mesa
V4/5 GT M's

Currently running with TAD 6l6 GC's under the hood

Really brightened up the overall voice, reduced bass flubiness and tightened things up nicely. I can now set trebble / presence within less extreme ranges as the EQ balance is much improved. Bonus - it responds to pedals better IMHO

Chester, Which LSC do you have ? combo or head & cab ? I can't stress enough how much the favorable ohm mismatch improved the sound, Before I opted to do this I really didn't expect a detectable difference, But I was wrong. If anyone out there hasn't tried this, do yourself a favor and try it out, Plug into the amp heads speaker out that is half the ohm value of whatever speaker cab you are using, example- speaker cab wired @ 16 ohms, plug into the heads 8 ohm output, If the speaker cab is wired @ 8 ohms, plug into the amps 4 ohm output. As far as series versus parallel, I have not experimented with that at all. With respect to the EL 34 switch I made, It sounds full and fat on both channels, the cleans were an unexpected surprise to me that I like them better than the 6L6 sound I was used to. I know that all of you LSC owners at one time or another hit a note or chord that made you think " that's the exact tone of " some classic rock song you love, With the mods I did, this rig absolutely brought the Stones can't you here me knockin to mind, both the clean and dirty guitars and Donovan's Hurdy Gurdy Man. Have any of you had a similar experience where you changed something up and instantly upon playing, the amp "and your playing of course" brought to mind a classic rock song you really like ?

ToneDrone said:
Chester, Which LSC do you have ? combo or head & cab ?

Head going into 2 Marshall cabs (as per sig below). I'll try the mismatch as you suggest - sounds like you get a bit more breakup and a softer attack from what you are describing :mrgreen:

Back