LSS best tubes for max clean headroom

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

picnic

Reaction score
I played a gig yesterday and noticed the amp was breaking up sooner than previous outings. I played it this morning so there doesn't appear or sound like there are any issues.

I bought it used a year ago and tubes are what came with it. Amp probably could use a tube swap since I play it about 10 hours a week. Normally I don't change preamp tubes, never seemed to make much of a difference. Power tubes have usually been JJ's for me. I like max clean on the clean channel. Pedals for dirt, even though the drive channel offers up some great OD.

What do you guys recommend?

I noticed the same thing at our last gig, and it got more noticeable as the gig progressed, but at home it sounded normal. Definitely power tubes.

I like JJs in my DC-3 as they are very durable in DCs, which are notorious for their hot bias. Just make sure you use a good vendor (Eurotubes, Doug's) and tell them which amp you have. You could also go with Mesa or Groove Tubes.

JJ's rock. I called Euro Tubes and told them I wanted high headroom for max clean, I told them what amp I have and they did the rest. They picked 6L6's for my LSC that spec'd out for what I specified. They did the trick alright. My amp was stupid loud and clean after that. The Mesa tubes never sounded right after those JJ's. The Mesa tubes just kind of sound flat, lackluster. I did the whole re-tube, power and pre amp. Then you'll really hear the difference.

I found out the hard way, you need to use MB matched power tubes, other brands might let the amp go into runaway and blow fuses, burn wire and transformers.

Ron

Change preamp tubes and you can get a lot of difference if the tubes are right. I don't change them all mostly just V1 and V2. I am using Bugle Boys Amperex ECC83 in V1 and V2 right now. Really nice cleans and warm tones. I also change to RCA 7025 and Mullard and GE for the 12AX7 preamp tubes. I have several amps that all use 12AX7 so I just move them around and it's like getting a new amp. I like the Tubeking guy on ebay, I have not gotten a bad tube on ebay yet.
Here is Tubeking's guide to the NOS guitar amp tubes.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/The-Tubekings-Guide-to-NOS-and-Vintage-Audio-Tubes-/10000000017053944/g.html

rfrakes said:
I found out the hard way, you need to use MB matched power tubes, other brands might let the amp go into runaway and blow fuses, burn wire and transformers.

Ron

Not exactly...keep in mind there were other 'factors' with your situation.

If you're not using Mesa tubes, be sure you get tubes that are correctly rated for the amp. For example, Groove Tubes - must be rated between a 4-6. Any reputable tube dealer should be able to send you tubes with the correct current draw for a Mesa amp.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back