Lonestar Tommy Folkesson Mod

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hexatonic

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Thanks for a great forum!

I´m new here and this is my first post.
I´ve been playing Boogie´s since mid 90´s and
a couple of years ago, I bought the Lonestar.
Anyway, there is a well known amp "guru" over here in Sweden
called Tommy Folkesson, who offers a mod for the LS.
As a big fan of his other amp work, I decided to try it out.
I thought it would be nice to share with you guys how it sounds.
The distortion kicks in at 3:49. Hope you like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOfEUTnGvow

Nice playing and fantastic tone. What were that amp settings for channel 2 & what did that mod change?

Thanks VJM!

I totally agree with you. It´s a fantastic tone!
A perfect balance of every ingredients I look
for in an amp and it´s very easy and inspiring to play.
I really liked the Lonestar in the first place, and the mod makes it the perfect
two channel amp for my needs. Ok, now to your question:

The biggest alteration that Tommy does to the amp, is to move the whole
EQ section post distortion. The clean channel´s mod is to give it a more "crispy"
top like Fender Twin. I think it sounds over all warmer after the mod,
and it really finds it place in the mix.

Settings for ch 2: Drive at 3 o´clock, thick switch to normal, gain at 2 o´clock, treble 10, mid 2, bass 9, presence 9, 100 W. (mid boost engaged on the guitar)

Tommy´s website: http://www.tommy-folkesson.nu (swedish only)

/hexatonic

VERY nice Hex - great tone and playing. I like the bite you get through rig, which is perfect for the mix you are in

Any additional pedals used, or is the sustain you get all amp and fingers?

Great tone and playing. That tone sounds like the perfect thing for fusion lead playing. My friend just sold his 2x12 Lonestar Classic combo. I wanted to grab it from him but my funds are tight right now.

It doesn't look like this is for the Lonestar Special? If so are ther pictures and dialog for the mod in English?

VR,

Ron

According to moderator Ned some posting was lost when the forum moved to a new server. Here follows a Google translation of the text on Swedish amp guru Tommy Folkesson´s
web page about what he can do with a Lonestar amp.

"This amplifier is supposed to be a modern version of Boogie Mk I and it is true in terms of design, but not quite sonically. Clean channel is really good, classic Boogie! I think it's a little hard and mods it so that it becomes a bit more bright crisp in the top a la Fender Twin. When you gain up to light breakup distortion it´s too muddy, and I adjust it for better bite.
Channel 2 leaves much to be desired, in my taste. A messy indistinct 70s sound has enough advantages, but rarely. "Too much hot rod" said a client once! I move the whole eq-section, so it is after the dist stage and then you can really affect the sound out of the box. As it is in original, you are forced to adjust alot to get rid of the mushiness, and then it becomes too thin. Just like the Mk I: with no EQ! More attack, more string and substantially more gain in channel 2. Works nicely on crunchy, slightly gritty distortion sounds, but sticks significantly better in the bass! You can play with lots of bass without the sound becomes mushy.
To provide two distinguished sound variations, I can switch the gain controls so that they work alone and that you can switch between them with an additional footswitch. A jack is mounted on the back for this and a footswitch is included."

He say´s nothing about the Special, but since the mods seems to be done in the preamp i guess they should work in a Special to. I hope this was at some help!
Here is his homepage: http://www.tommy-folkesson.nu

Cheers
Utop

Back