LoneStar Classic Reverb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogieman123

Reaction score
Hi everyone...

I bought a used LoneStar classic 1x12 cab. There is not a lot of reverb on the amp. Basically I have to turn the reverb all the way up to hear a small amount. I would say it gives me the equivalent of my Fender Twin 65 reverb reissue's reverb set at about 2.5 (I don't have the amps in front of me to compare but that's a guesstimate). Does this sound right? Someone told me that the amp has the same reverb as the Twin and I shouldn't have to turn the dial all the way up to hear a subtle amount of reverb.

Furthermore, there is a very subtle difference between the warm and bright reverbs. I had someone else listen and you really have to pay very close attention to hear the difference (the bright reverb has a touch more "smack or slap" to it). Is this normal?

P.S. I put in a brand new 12ax7 in the reverb valve so the tube itself is not the issue.

I also want to note that the reverb is not a deep, spring reverb like the twin gets at 5 or above...

That's not right. I have mine set to virtually zero and i can hear it. If i put it on half way, it's very noticeable. I'm not sure if it's preamp tube related or you need a new reverb tank. Other's might have more insight as to what it could be.

Thanks... I actually have it at this *%# repair shop and he's saying its fine just because he's an #%^. What can you do... As long as I don't act like him.

It's not preamp tube related... But there's something wrong with the tube socket because it's very hard to match the pins to fit the tube (took me 20 minutes and had to turn amp over). I think the amp is also frying the tube in that valve because so far I've replaced 2 tubes (new one lasted 1 week) and onto the 3rd.

Anyone know if I can plug my twin reverb tank into the Mesa to check if the tank is the issue? And if so how to know what plugs to plug in where so I don't fry anything?

knotts said:
That's not right. I have mine set to virtually zero and i can hear it.

Plus one. Mine is very noticeable and barely turned up.

My LSC's reverb transformer died years ago, thankfully while the amp was under warranty. The symptoms were much like you're describing in the OP: reverb was audible, but just barely. Maybe give the tech a heads up about that if they still have it...

Back