Turn the fan off or not?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamstein

Reaction score
Hmm, I've got to thinking! :roll:
I really don't like the noise of the fan in the background, but I've always thought it was provided for a reason, and that you should only turn it off for brief periods whilst recording.
-But old school amps never needed a fan and they run quite happily. Are my amp's innards really at any risk if I decide to just never turn the fan on, as I prefer!? :mrgreen:

- Although the fan does help the smell of hot valves and wood percolate around my music room which I like very much! :D

Do you have the Head or Combo? If it is a combo, you will get air movement from the speaker in the cavity, I did notice the Lonestar is more open than most of the other Combo's I am familiar with. So it may not be necessary for the fan with the combo. If it is the Head, well, since it suspends the tubes below the amp chassis, any air flow is good, other wise the convective energy will bake the amp.
Just an opinion, nothing more.

Leave the fan on. Your old amps probably didn't run that hot. The Lone Star runs hotter than a three dollar pistol. Some Mesa amps run cool, some run hot. LSS runs hot as hell.

Back