Lone Star Classic pick attack

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogieman123

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I just purchased a lone star classic 1x12 cab... I switched from a fender twin reverb reissue. I love the amp because I feel it is just like the twin except warmer / bassier sounding. However, it's not as smooth as the twin in the sense that it has more pick attack. Instead of the high ends being rolled off, I can hear the attack of the pick (which is a trebly tone). This is comparable to turning up the treble on a twin. And no matter how much I turn down the presence or treble it's still there (and I actually have the treble at about 10-11:00 because turning up the treble doesn't give a harsh tone or change the pick attack. This pick attack doesn't cause me pain(although I'd rather it not be there) until after I've been playing for awhile and my ears get sensitive ( I have slight tinnitus).

I'm wondering if this is normal of the lonestar or whether this could be my specific amp and if I tried another lonestar (which I don't have access to) this tone characteristic might not be there?

Thanks!

Are you running on silicone diodes or tube rectification? What's the wattage setting? I've noticed that tube rectification and softens the pick attack where as silicone diodes accentuates it. Try running Tube Rectification, 50 watts and the power set to tweed. See if that gives you more of what you're looking for.

Thanks... I have on tube rectification and I keep wattage at 10 watts. I havent played with the tweed setting with my new speaker but I will give it a try (I didn't like how it sounded with the black shadow speaker in there).

So you too hear a harsh pick attack?

I wouldn't call it harsh, but I'm not comparing it to something else. I would say that the pick attack on the clean channel is quite articulate so there's no hiding it. I will say it's more pronounced with my strat. I'm also working with the older version of the LSC but I don't think that matters. I just don't have the 10 watt setting. I usually keep my treble north of noon and the presence set pretty low on my LSC with 2x12 black shadow speakers. Give it a shot and see if it works for you.

Great thanks... I thought maybe different lonestars sound
Slightly different since someone told me that no two amps sound exactly the same and the pick attack on mine is not a desirable tone.... To me it's harsh because I have tinnitus.... Maybe there's a mod for this...

Also, if you like the 50 watts over the 100, you might want to swap you're old classic for a new one... The 10 watts gives a smoother, sweeter tone without causing distortion.

Thanks. LSC is my backup. My roadster has been getting all of my attention these days. Good luck. I hope your able to get it sorted out.

I have an LSS and the pick attack is what I like, but using the 5 watt setting and tube rectifier, it is melodic. I also have tinnitus. One of the resons I use 5 watt. I don't need more sound energy, just nice OD with 3rd order harmonics for that sweet old school roundness to the pick attack. A Twinn is way too loud and there isn't a club anywhere in this area that would allow 1. Too many places 20 watts is too much. Now outside, then crank it and let er rip!

Latest posts

Back