Lss 2x12 speaker upgrade

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadlyDrawnBoy

Reaction score
Hi,

Thinking of putting at least one gold in there. What about the second speaker, also gold, leave the original, or something else? Curious for your opinions.

Regards

Start out with one gold and one stock, then let your ears decide. You can always change the 2nd speaker at a later date.
Just my 2 cents.

OP, did you get the Gold? If so, can you post a follow-up with your results? I'm considering doing the exact same thing, albeit my amp is a LSC, not a LSS. Thanks!

Golds generally are for LSS's??? EL-84 amps??? LSC's benefit from EV's or similar type. Search for speaker threads.

Thanks for your input, Plan-X. I always (ALWAYS) do a search before posting a new topic. It reduces clutter. That said, there are zero threads on here about mixing one Gold and one C90 in a Lone Star (Classic or Special) 2x12". (It's always possible I could have missed some post somewhere, but the searches I did returned nada.)

I also have to disagree about the Celestion Gold being an EL84 speaker. The Gold is pretty darn versatile. I just wanted to hear back from the OP in regards to mixing one and the stock C90.

Finally, both Lone Stars share identical preamps. There are exponentially more similarities than differences when comparing the two.

In the "for what it's worth" department, I have a Gold in my LSS and still have the 2 stock C90s in my 2x12 extension cab, and this combo is great. The highs/brightness of the Gold mixes well with the C90s. I have thought about swapping out the stock C90s for 2 EVs, but know I would need a forklift to move that cab...

Back