Do I have a valve problem? Lss

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J200george

Reaction score
Hi there I'm running a lss mainly for home use, after an hour or so's practice today I started to get an intermittent hi pitched crackle this was independent of guitar volume and was only on the 5w and 15w settings?

It goes away if I power it down/ put it on standby for a couple of minutes and power up again.

None seem to glow any more brightly than the next as far as I can see.... Any thoughts?

I'd put my money on a tube (valve) problem. Sounds like it's time to retube. Mesa has a page on it's website with troubleshooting tips on finding the bad tube.

It probably is time to retube it's an early lss that's had the 5yk mod. Valve position 1 was at fault. Gave it a tap and it screeched like a stuck pig.

I notice that position 1,2 and 3 are from what I can gather the same and possibly the originals that came with the amp. Position 4 looks like a mesa one I've just replaced it with. Luckily they both are matched as green 10 ac.

New one looks like it is running hot. I'm keeping my eye on this for now. Fault has gone away so far at least.

Back