Lonestar Classic speaker swap confusion

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guizan

Reaction score
Hey everyone. New to the forum, but not new to the lonestar. I've had this amp for 2 years now. Really like the amp... but as of late I've been trying to maximize the tonal possibilites with this amp. I've swapped out all the tubes for NOS or good new production tubes in favor of the MESA's and that made an undeniably huge difference and took the amp up a level for sure. I would like try some new speakers too, but am torn on what to do.

My two main contenders are the Weber Ceramic California 12 with a paper dome and the WGS Blackhawk HP. I have the 2x12 combo.

I can't really comment on what the current speakers lack, since I haven't compared them to anything else. But I would like a slight amount more treble, and a tighter bottom end. A bigger sound or soundstage in general wouldn't hurt either! But I love warmth and smoothness, so anything shrill or even too bright won't do. I've checked over this thread... http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30771 ... It sounds like the Weber Cali is liked by many, but to be safe I'd probably go with the paper dome since I've heard from a lot of folks that the aluminum is very bright. The blackhawk sounds about perfect... but the price is almost shocking. If it truly is the perfect speaker for me I will pay what I need to.. but the webers feel like the safer purchase due to the price. I feel like I've scoured over every thread containing any information on these speakers... but I'm getting no where fast.

So lonestar vets, what's your opinion on these two speakers?

Hey Guizan, welcome to the forum. If you could elaborate on the tone you are looking to achieve it would help some members steer you in one direction or another. There's no perfect speaker, but only the right speaker for the right job. I have an LSC 2x12 and I like the black shadows for all of the blues stuff I do. I also paired my LSC with a 4x12 mixed with v30's and GH12's and it's great for classic rock. I think my holy grail speakers would be celestion golds based on lots of members feedback in pairing those speakers with the Lonestar.

I have the 1 x 12 and have been contemplating the same. Ran across this thread not sure if you've seen it:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30771

I have not tried the Weber, but I have the Blackhawk HP and I think it's almost THE perfect speaker for the LSC. It seems to really complement the big, round tone of the Classic, and smooths of the OD just perfectly. It's a tad dark, but that's EASILY compensated for with EQ/Presence.

Highly recommend the Blackhawk HP.

Latest posts

Back