LSC reliability question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PMcC

Reaction score
Hi Guys,..
I had a friend loan me his LSC,..he explained a problem he was having regarding the efx loop. With the loop engaged running through efx,...everything is fine.
With the loop engaged and nothing connected to the send / return jacks,. the amp drops out and comes back in, crackles almost like a bad cable.
With the loop engaged and a dummy cable connected from the send / return jack,..(using no efx)..everything works fine....
When loop is hard bypassed,.all is fine.....

I tried swapping a few of the preamp tubes, this didn't help.
Has anyone heard of this?

The sound of the amp is great,...which prompted me to order one,...but trying to trouble shoot this issue, has me reading a lot about the Lonestar having reliability issues, I'm a little concerned now.

Any input is appreciated.
Thx

PMcC said:
Hi Guys,..
I had a friend loan me his LSC,..he explained a problem he was having regarding the efx loop. With the loop engaged running through efx,...everything is fine.
With the loop engaged and nothing connected to the send / return jacks,. the amp drops out and comes back in, crackles almost like a bad cable.
With the loop engaged and a dummy cable connected from the send / return jack,..(using no efx)..everything works fine....
When loop is hard bypassed,.all is fine.....

I tried swapping a few of the preamp tubes, this didn't help.
Has anyone heard of this?

The sound of the amp is great,...which prompted me to order one,...but trying to trouble shoot this issue, has me reading a lot about the Lonestar having reliability issues, I'm a little concerned now.

Any input is appreciated.
Thx

sounds like its a bad jack on either the send or return of the FX Loop…seems like its not closing all the way and when you put the dummy cable in there it opens it up(if that makes sense)…

regarding the reliability of the LSC 50/100…I've been gigging regularly(including touring)with mine for years and never had any issues at all…I think I may even have all the original preamp tubes still in there…I change power tubes about once a year…its been a workhorse...

I called Mesa and they said the same as you, I sprayed the jacks and it seems to have cleared it up....fingers crossed!!

excellent sounding amp!!...I returned a King Snake to order one,...so I'm pumped to get it on gigs.

Thanks!!!

PMcC

PMcC said:
I called Mesa and they said the same as you, I sprayed the jacks and it seems to have cleared it up....fingers crossed!!

excellent sounding amp!!...I returned a King Snake to order one,...so I'm pumped to get it on gigs.

Thanks!!!

PMcC

Cool...glad you got it worked out...you'll love the LSC once you have it for a while...really covers a ton of ground...I'll never sell mine...good luck...

Most of our amps utilize normalling jacks for the fx loop. If you experience intermittent signal with nothing in the loop, run a simple patch cable from the fx send to the fx return. If this helps, it indicates that the jacks need to cleaned - as they carry signal when nothing is plugged in. Oxidation can interrupt the signal - simply spray contact cleaner on the tip of a 1/4" cable and excercise the jack 4-5 times. Thanks!

dodger916 said:
The biggest reliability issue I recall reading about over the years is the rectifier tube.

This would apply to the Lonestar Special, rather than the classic. Current production 5Y3's are simply not as robust as the original JAN Phillips 5Y3 the amp was designed around. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back