Boogies with lonestar cleans?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diddlydan

Reaction score
Hi guys,yesterday i tried a lonestar special and had to be physically pulled away from it.Incredible sounding amp!I loved everything about it,the tone,feel,response,reverb etc.The only issue was the drive channel doesnt really go beyond a bluesy overdrive.It sounds incredible and i loved the tone and feel from it but id just need something with a bit more.Ive been planning on getting a 2nd hand triaxis and even have the 50/50 power bought for it.It seems to cover all the area's im looking for from nice chimey cleans to heavy distortion if required.But having played the lonestar im tempted to just get that instead.It blew me away that much.But ill probably regret it after a few weeks.Having done some research it turns out that the modern dual recs have the lonestar clean circuit and so do the roadster,roadking and express plus series amps along with more high gain distortion channels.Is this actually true?Is it even possible and if it is true,how close are the cleans to the lonestars? Thanks

If I remember correctly, the Fat mode on the Mark V is based on the Lone Star clean channel. I believe the same is true with the 2011+ Roadsters.

I have a Lonestar Classic and I didn't like CH2 until I got a Les Paul an played it through it. With my strats (as much I love them) I never bonded with CH2. As a result I bought a Roadster but kept the Lonestar because the clean is just that good. Although the Roadsters CH1 and CH2 are based on the lonestar circuit, they don't quite measure up (but they are very close). I found that I liked my strats with pedals through the clean channel of the LSC. It's a matter of preference. It depends on the style of music you play. If you play heavier stuff, you won't get everything you need from a lonestar w/o pedals.

There's something about a great clean channel. It's tough to beat.

knotts said:
If you play heavier stuff, you won't get everything you need from a lonestar w/o pedals

+1

My LSC takes pedals better than most amps I have owned. I can cover all the ground I need with a BB+ into either channel (set for "fur" as their base tone), and ride my guitar volume to colour as required. Clean to rock is easy to dial in, and get's really aggressive when required ... great all round choice. If metal is your thing, you may be better served with a Recto

Chester said:
knotts said:
If you play heavier stuff, you won't get everything you need from a lonestar w/o pedals

+1

My LSC takes pedals better than most amps I have owned. I can cover all the ground I need with a BB+ into either channel (set for "fur" as their base tone), and ride my guitar volume to colour as required. Clean to rock is easy to dial in, and get's really aggressive when required ... great all round choice. If metal is your thing, you may be better served with a Recto
The BB preamp seems to pop up a lot in my research.So how much more gain to do you manage to get by adding the BB?Could you give me some examples ie foo fighters ,pearl jam or whoever.Obviously it wont be doing metallica ha.Does it stay in the bluesy territory or does it manage to take it into a good solid rock tone?Even as it is i love the dist on channel 2.Its so creamy and lovely to play.

I play blues and some heavier classic rock. I thought had the BB special and it got plenty dirty. So much in fact that I actually favored the AC booster with a compressor / sustain for most of what I did. I eventually bought a roadster so foo fighters tone is nailed there. You can get close with the lonestar and the right pedals. If you want to play foo fighters all the time, get a recto. If you play a lot of blues and jazz, get the lonestar. Another consideration is whether or not you play out. If you are talking bedroom situation 90% of the time, the smaller guys might server you better, but I will say that there is nothing better than an LSC with the clean on 100 watts.

I'm not sure I'm helping you make a decision. I say get the amp that most suits your style. You won't find any one amp that does everything the best. Good luck.

Ha its hard to know really.My problem is i play too many different styles so its hard to find an amp that covers the lot.Probably why i keep changing amps so often.Think ill stick to my plan of getting a triaxis as it does have nice cleans as well and ive already bought the power amp.That Lonestar had something magic about it though.Thanks for the replies

Latest posts

Back