Lonestar Special not loud anymore?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheeny

Reaction score
:?:

I'm sure I'm not going deaf, but the clean headroom in my LSS seems to be disappearing. I have the Gain on the clean channel about 9:30, Channel Volume at max, and master volume at 1:00. I'm using the 30W setting, but it just seems to break up too much if I push it any higher.

Is this the nature of the beast? should I look at Classic for better clean headroom?, or is there something that needs attention (valves/circuits etc)? I have a relatively new set of JJ's (EL84's and ECC83S onboard)

Any ideas would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance fellow Mesa brethren.

Sheeny

Where do you have your treble control set at? From my experience with the LSS, the treble is what adds "hair" ,chime and break up. So maybe, if yours is high, you could try lowering it (a lot), push the gain and control high end from the presence knob.

I don't suppose you re trying these settings at home and you're maxing out on clean headroom as channel master at full and master output at 1:00 would be really really loud. If you're at home' maybe a preamp valve is about to go?
Also, see if you can push a bit from the loop volume controll which is effectively an additional gain stage. Provided you are not overloading any fx in the loop.

Thanks Catthan, will have a look at that. How can I check if my preamp valves are on the way out - I've just replaced the 12Ax7's with the new JJ's, so I assume its not them?

Anyhow, much appreciated with your suggestions.

try backing off your channel volume to 3/4 or less - then maybe you can increase the master without so much breakup...

Did the amp do that before the JJs?
New, used? what's its history?
Also, where do you use these settings, live-practice? If so then maybe you need smth louder.

Do you have any spare pre-amp valves? try changing one, say V1. See what happens.

I'm really surprised your clean headroom is maxed out with gain at 9:30 but unfortunately I'm not an amp tech.

Maybe your power amp is clipping so lower your masters and try gain high and treble low.

if it has an effects loop, try plugging a jumper cable from send to return

J200george, Did you figure out what was wrong with it? What wattage are you running it? 5 watt is tube rectifier, 15 and 30 are SS Diode rectifier. I you flip to stand-by and change wattage, and it still sound not loud, it is not the tube rectifier. Probably 1 of the 12AX7s not a power tube.

Latest posts

Back