How do I fix the rectifier problem on the LSS?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cacheek

Reaction score
I've been GASing for an LSS for a while. I'm about to move some stuff and pull the trigger on a local one, but thing has me hesitant. I've read about the rectifier tube blowing and taking out, I think, part of the circuit board or capacitors. How can I prevent this from happening if I buy this amp? What's the fix? Is it easy and is it expensive?

If you plan on using the amp 15 or 30 watt mode, the rectifier is solid state and the 5Y3 is switched out. It is only on the 5 watt mode that the tube is recitifying. On that note Mesa Boogie engineering is recommending using a Weber Copper cap solid state replacement as the rectifier. And make sure all your power tubes are Mesa Boogie tubes. 1 Groove tube in with the MB tubes and th GT Red Plated blowing the fuse and the 5Y3 rec tube. A Copper cap is WY3GT 5Y3GT 125ma 50V $22.

http://www.webervst.com/ccap.html

I also found my LSS was blowing the standard 5y3, - I got a couple of different old NOS 5y3s (cant remember the manufacturers- but will dig out the info if you really want me to!) and that was the problem solved. - I don't think the modern 5y3's are really up to the job, just get a nice NOS one! - mine has now been happily running for a few years on the NOS tube.

NOS and ANOS 5Y3s are cheap and plentiful. I use them in a Champ and tweed Deluxe. They'll outlast a new 5Y3 in any amp and cost less in the long run.

Latest posts

Back