LSS Black Shadow Speaker

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chipper

Reaction score
Hi guys,
New forum member here and my first post. I've had my LSS 1x12 combo for about 18 months and it's by far the best amp I have ever owned.

I've read lots of posts about mods and new speakers for this amp, but I've left mine completely stock. One thing I noticed when I first got it home was how dark and stiff the stock speaker was. I didn't notice it live so much, but just at home.

In the last 6 months though, the speaker seems to have loosened up a lot and sounds fantastic. I'm not sure if it's because I've finally figured out how to dial in the amp properly or if it is the speaker. Anyone else notice this.

Opinions about the C90 are all over the place, lots of people hate them, maybe love them. I find that they sound pretty good if they're in a decent sized cab. My main beef with them is that, to my ears, they are flat in certain frequencies, especially with harmonic overtones that a brighter speaker would enhance. All depends on what you like and what you're after. They're pretty powerful, which is nice!

I put a Gold in my LSS because I had one and I'd read that it was a magical combination with that amp. I like to experiment, so it was a no-brainer for me.

PS. Welcome to the club!

I swapped mine for a G12H30 after a year or so. Got an LSS 1x12 combo.
The C90 is a great speaker. It's pretty even sounding, has nice warm mids (not too prominent as in V30 for instance). I wouldn't call it particularly dark as there are much darker speakers and C90 has nice smooth highs, but I would say it's on the darker side of the tone spectrum. It really needs to be pushed to produce all frequencies evenly.
I mainly swapped it because I felt the LSS didn't use its potential. Besides, I often play at home at a very moderate volume where C90 would lose tightness.
I like the G12H for dirty sound better. It is grittier, tighter and a bit brighter. More into the Marshall grit.
I would go to C90 if I was limited to a 1x12 on stage. It is a nice neutral speaker that can handle a lot of power. But for a smaller gig/rehearsal purpose I find it a bit difficult to push with a 15/30W amp.

I play 80% dirty channel. I love it. Drive ON at 3-4 o'clock, Gain at 12-1, Treble at 3, Mids out, Bass 9-10 o'clock, Presence at 12-1. Loop IN. 15W.
I like to push the amp with an Xotic BB. Guitars: Washbun N4, Fender Strat, Fender Tele.
I play hard rock (ACDC to Extreme), some shred (Satriani, Vai, Yngwie). I don't aim at copying anyone's sound, but need the a certain amount of dirt, push and definition, which the LSS delivers in spades.

Latest posts

Back