LSS Current Reduction and 5Y3 mod

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfrakes

Reaction score
Has anyone had their LSS modified with Current Reduction and 5Y3 mod? I hope it doesn't change that sound and tone this amp pumps out. Gorgeous cleans on the edge of breakup. I use it in 5 watt mode mostly to save my ears. Happy New Year!

I wonder if this mod will change the tone and kill the sweet spot?

I haven't heard about this other mod. Sorry if I missed something on the forum about it. I've done the mod which involves clipping out two resistors. What exactly is the mod with the two 68 ohm and one 125 ohm resistors ? Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

I just bought a returned LSS from Sweetwater. I had it about 2 weeks and lost the 5Y3 tube. I contacted Sweetwater, stating in my message that I suspect that is why it was returned. I received phone call promptly from the service tech. He confirmed that was the reason for return, but he made the resistor update when it was returned. He told me that Mesa has suggested another change to lower the voltage.

He also said the he and Mesa were working on a permanent fix for this situation. One thing he came up with is to use a 5R4G rectifier tube. They are designed to handle higher voltage without overloading the power tubes. Mesa agreed with his choice and has okay'ed the use of this type of tube. I placed an order for a 5R4G tube and it should be here any day. I will report back in a few weeks. Hopefully this will hold up. I love the amp and don't want to unload it.

I had on hand a NOS 5U4G & NOS 5AR4, but didn't want to try either until I spoke with someone. The Sweetwater tech told me that using either would have increased the plate voltage to the power tubes too much and would have lead to premature tube failure, so I'm happy I didn't do that.

Barn Door,

Did you take the plunge and do the mod? just curious.
VR, Ron

rfrakes said:
Barn Door,

Did you take the plunge and do the mod? just curious.
Not yet. I have to wait until I get home. I'll report back when I've tried it.

Joe

The squeal turned out to be the loop feedback as identified in the owners manual. It took them a couple of years to engineer this solution.

VR,

Ron

I had my LSS on an hour the other day with Power tubes on and off. Don't usually play that long, but it blew a 5Y3 and a fuse and also white wires to the PT look like they got too hot. Mine is at an Amp Tech where they sell a full line of Mesa Boogie amps. So, I don't no yet what needs to be done. I will let you know. If you use yours in 30 watt mode, then this isn't a problem.

VR,

Ron

lespauljoe1, These mods and the 5R4G rectifier tube didn't kill the sweet spot of this amp did it?

I liked it the way it was before all of this.

VR,

Ron

After sending my LSS Chassis to MB, we discussed switching to a 5Y3 Weber Copper cap replacement for the Rec tube. Also, let me stress the importance of using Boogie Power tubes. I accidentally got a Groove Tube El-84 in there which Red Plated and blew the fuse and the 5Y3, luckily the PT and OT are fine. Nice Iron BTW the Boogie tech guys are great to work with. I am back Boogying and couldn't be happier! Cheers and Happy Mother's Day to All.

Back