EL34s w/ Bias Selector positioned for 6L6

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outlier

Reaction score
If one were to accidentally run a Lonestar Classic w/ EL34s installed, but with the bias selector positioned for 6L6's, how fast could damage occur? I swapped out my tubes to try EL34s (as the amp has had 6L6s since I purchased it and I was just curious), and powered the amp on, and probably played both channels for 2 minutes or so until it suddenly hit me that I hadn't changed the bias selector. I turned it right off, and switched the bias selector to EL34s. I played it for just a little longer, and I don't hear any terrible noises or notice anything just blatantly wrong, but I'm wondering now if I've still damaged something, or caused undue wear on certain components.

I actually did the same thing a couple of years ago and called Mesa with the same question. Not a problem they say as well.

Thanks for the replies, I was pretty nervous I'd messed up big time. I've been really liking the EL34s, seems to work better for me with the pedals that I use. I have a lot easier time getting a sound I like out of channel 2 w/ drive enabled as well. I was afraid I'd lose the clean tones I fell in love with using the 6L6s, but I don't think the cleans are really compromised.

Even though I have the 2x12 combo, I've been liking the sounds I get using the amp as a head only to drive a closed back 4x12 cabinet. I've been reading through the threads on this site about converting from a combo to a head. If I played out much at all, I believe I'd have to pursue that as the combo is somehow even heavier than a 5150 combo I used to lug around. For now I like just having the combo stacked up on the 4x12 so I can actually see the knobs and labels from my stool. I bet once you've tinkered with it for a few years you memorize where all the knobs are, but I was having a really hard time seeing what was what.

Anyway, for a spur of the moment craiglist purchase I couldn't be happier with this amp.

They are heavy--especially the combos. But after years of working with these amps I still think they are great. Even great unmodified (and mine is not). I am using 6L6s now...but am contemplating the move BACK to EL34s. Although I like the tone I have now. Interestingly I have have struggled more with tone on channel 1 than channel 2. I always liked what I got on that channel more with the the EL34s. Always a journey though. I learn new things about this amp every gig.

Latest posts

Back