Came back home to the Lonestar Classic. Feels good! New Amp!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjboogie

Reaction score
Had a Lonestar Classic a while back loved it but then got rid of it.....after touring with the Mark V and using other Boogie amps I decided it was time to come back home to where I need to be and that's with a Lonestar Classic. Check out my new rig I just got today.

Lonestar Classic Short Head with two 1x12 cabs one loaded with a C90 and one with a V30. Both are open back but I had Mesa send me a panel that goes on and off so I can make it closed back if I want. Believe it or not the V30 open back sounds KILLER!!!!

The short head and two cabs instead of one are for much better portability. The Short head is SO MANAGEABLE!!!

beautiful amp. I have mine now for years and I still absolutely love it. Congrats

I was going to sell my LSC to help fund a custom power amp. I just couldn't do it though. I am compromising though: I'm having a speaker jack installed on my 4X10 combo cab and selling it; but the LSC chassis stays with me. The chassis will eventually go into a head shell.

I'm also bonding with the LSC drive channel now that I'm running it through a 2X12 instead of a 4X10.

talltxguy said:
I was going to sell my LSC to help fund a custom power amp. I just couldn't do it though. I am compromising though: I'm having a speaker jack installed on my 4X10 combo cab and selling it; but the LSC chassis stays with me. The chassis will eventually go into a head shell.

I'm also bonding with the LSC drive channel now that I'm running it through a 2X12 instead of a 4X10.

I considered ordering a 4x10 cab........what do you like and don't like about it with the LSC?

My biggest complaint is the lack of headroom when playing cleanly. When playing with a drummer, I had to nearly dime my LSC when playing cleanly.

Even though I changed the speakers in my 4X10 to ceramics, I still had headroom issues.

If you mic the cab, you should be just fine. But then that leads into the next issue, which is the tone itself. The LCS sounded great through the 4X10 cab with ceramics, but it sounds heavenly through my 2X12 RA cab. I get more bass with the 2X12s and the treble sounds more natural to me. And there's more of a mid scoop with the 2X12s.

The Royal Atlantic cabs have Vintage 30s in them, and I've always dug Vintage 30s for cleans and for distortion. I'm pretty biased toward the V30s.

Hope this helps.

talltxguy said:
My biggest complaint is the lack of headroom when playing cleanly. When playing with a drummer, I had to nearly dime my LSC when playing cleanly.

Even though I changed the speakers in my 4X10 to ceramics, I still had headroom issues.

If you mic the cab, you should be just fine. But then that leads into the next issue, which is the tone itself. The LCS sounded great through the 4X10 cab with ceramics, but it sounds heavenly through my 2X12 RA cab. I get more bass with the 2X12s and the treble sounds more natural to me. And there's more of a mid scoop with the 2X12s.

The Royal Atlantic cabs have Vintage 30s in them, and I've always dug Vintage 30s for cleans and for distortion. I'm pretty biased toward the V30s.

Hope this helps.

Very helpful! Thanks!

Yeah I have fallen in love with the V30. I had a 2x12 vertical cab for a while loaded with 2 C90's and it was great but now that I one of each I can really hear and feel the difference. I love both together and I love just using the V30 by itself as well.

jjboogie said:
Had a Lonestar Classic a while back loved it but then got rid of it.....after touring with the Mark V and using other Boogie amps I decided it was time to come back home to where I need to be and that's with a Lonestar Classic. Check out my new rig I just got today.

Lonestar Classic Short Head with two 1x12 cabs one loaded with a C90 and one with a V30. Both are open back but I had Mesa send me a panel that goes on and off so I can make it closed back if I want. Believe it or not the V30 open back sounds KILLER!!!!

The short head and two cabs instead of one are for much better portability. The Short head is SO MANAGEABLE!!!

That is a beautiful rig. I moved on to other amps too, but I'm on my way back to the Lone Star Classic myself. It can do most anything I need for it to. Great amps imo.

djw said:
Mesa did you up, JJ. Welcome back to the Lone Star Nation! What a gorgeous rig!

Thanks! I'm loving it!

The other night I let my other guitarist in my band play thru it the entire rehearsal. The next day he texted me saying after playing through my rig his personal amps at home were a let down! LOL

I've been using my short head LSC 50/100 for years with 2 compact 1x12's(Openback with a C90 and Thiele with an EV)...sounds insane...many amps have come and gone over the years but nothing can take down that combination...probably the best amp I've had in my 30+years of playing...

flantrax said:
I've been using my short head LSC 50/100 for years with 2 compact 1x12's(Openback with a C90 and Thiele with an EV)...sounds insane...many amps have come and gone over the years but nothing can take down that combination...probably the best amp I've had in my 30+years of playing...

It's the best amp I've always wanted and haven't (yet) owned. Someday...

Okay, I appreciate this is an old post, but having converted my Blue Pig 2x12 combo to a more manageable head, I was browsing back through the previous posts and am intrigued by the OP’s impressive setup here.

My question is, assuming each of these 1x12 cabs are rated at 8 ohm, would they each then be plugged into one of the amp’s two 4ohm speaker outputs, which I think I read somewhere are internally wired in parallel, giving a total 8ohm load?

Perry said:
Okay, I appreciate this is an old post, but having converted my Blue Pig 2x12 combo to a more manageable head, I was browsing back through the previous posts and am intrigued by the OP’s impressive setup here.

My question is, assuming each of these 1x12 cabs are rated at 8 ohm, would they each then be plugged into one of the amp’s two 4ohm speaker outputs, which I think I read somewhere are internally wired in parallel, giving a total 8ohm load?

According to the manual, that's correct.

Latest posts

Back