Lonestar Special and Mark V Comparison?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fisherman'sFriend

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was hoping that some of you might have experience with both amps and could do a comparison of their channels 1 and 2? Obviously it wont be able to get the high gain of the Mark but I'm heading towards more vintage tones anyways and the LSS might be a nice compliment to the much larger Boogie. Thanks for any help you might be able to give! :D

Yep, its the best amp I've ever played through although I did really like a vibrolux that I tried a few times...

LSS clean = Mark V, Channel 1, Fat

LSS lead = Mark V, Channel 2, Mark I

It's not exact, but it'll give you a general idea. If you dig Mark I mode you'll probably dig the LSS. If you don't dig Mark I mode you probably won't dig the LSS.

(keep in mind the LSS has no built in graphic EQ)

Thanks SD, I think I'll see if I can get my local shop to get one for me to try out next time they get some boogies in. Does the Drive channel sound a lot like the Mark I mode? Ideally for me it would have less low end and sound a bit brighter than the MKI mode.

Fisherman'sFriend said:
Ideally for me it would have less low end and sound a bit brighter than the MKI mode.

You won't find that in a Lone Star. The thick/thicker/thickest switch will shift the bottom end and mids slightly, but the amp is what the amp is. The lead channel is a true lead channel... fat, fluid, and not at all good at crunchy/articulate rhythm riffs.

For rhythm, think Billy Gibbons or George Thorogood... i.e., guys that are basically playing lead and rhythm simultaneously.

In my opinion.

Hey there,

I own both. If vintage is what you're after then the LSS is definitely what you're looking for. The clean channel is almost like a Fender/Vox hybrid sound. I say this having traded an AC30 for the LSS. The gain channel has a Voxy/Marhsally thing happening. Very 70's classic rock in general.

I brought it to a practice and our bass player said he liked it more than the Mark V lol.

Back