Anybody use the Mesa Widebody 1x12s with their Lone Star ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyDee

Reaction score
Hi;
I'm thinking of getting a Lone Star head and was wondering if anyone is pairing their LS head with the
standard Mesa Boogie compact Widebody cabs , open or closed back.
Is it a good combination ?

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar%20Cabinets/COMPACTcabs/WidebodyOB-1x12-LG.htm

Thanks
Tony

I think the Lone Star sounds great with either closed- or open-back cabs, but it definitely shines with open backs. I only like a closed-back if I'm really going for a lot of heavy thump -- otherwise, I prefer the spread and airy quality of the open back, and the LS is pretty much geared for that.

I have the 27" and 19" 1x12 Lone Star cabs and just ordered the 23", which is the same basic dimensions as the one you're talking about, but an inch or two taller. I generally think bigger always sounds better, especially with a 1x12, but it all depends on what you're doing with it -- how loud you'll be playing, whether you really need portability because you're moving it around a lot, etc. I'm sure that cab will sound just fine. But why not go for the LS 23"? It'll match your amp and it's a little bigger, which should translate to a larger sound image.

I'm going to be converting my Mark V combo to a head and cab and was planning on getting the Mesa Boogie compact Widebody as the cab for the Mark V head.
I'm also thinking of getting a Lone Star head down the road and was wondering if the same Mesa Boogie compact Widebody would be a good match for the Lone Star as well.
So I guess I'm trying to get a good all around cab for both the Mark V and Lone Star.
Thanks !
Tony

The widebody cab should sound good. If you get a chance, try a 27" Lonestar 1x12 cab. Killer sounding cab. Rich, full, and big.

I'm reporting back on my new 23" Lone Star 1x12. LOVE it. More portable than the 27", but sounds almost as big. Very punchy, yet open and spacious. The stock C90 (which I generally replace without a second thought) actually sounded pretty good in there. Of course, I replaced it anyway, and now it has a Gold in there. Sounds glorious. Not only that, but it compelled me to sell off a very trendy (and very good) boutique 1x12 cabinet because the 23 is about 7 lbs lighter and sounded every bit as good.

I highly recommend the 23" Lone Star cab.

That's a Celstion Gold 12" 8 ohm? How does it differ from the C90?

ziehmrd said:
That's a Celstion Gold 12" 8 ohm? How does it differ from the C90?
Um, I guess the list of similarities between the two would be easier and shorter to convey: they're both made by Celestion and they're both 8 ohm 12" speakers. That's about it. :roll:

Not to be flip, but search around: a lot has been written up about the Gold. It's high on the short list of most coveted, highly-valued guitar speakers. Very articulate, tight lows, clear mids and sparkly highs. The C90 is probably a bit murky by comparison.

Back