LSS Ch. 2 Drive ever cut out on you?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suede11

Reaction score
It's happened a couple of times.
I'm on Ch.2, Drive engaged at 2:30, Gain at 3:00, Thick setting, 5 watts, loop in and set to noon.
Suddenly, all goes silent, almost as if a tube died or something shorted out.
Turning Drive knob slightly brings sound back, but then it may cut out again.
Ch. 1 functions fine if I switch channels, so I really think its something to do with Drive feature.

I've noticed it happening after switching on my Fulltone Fat Boost or using my Tele's built in Mid-Boost.
I've read in other posts that too much Drive/Gain can cause V1 problems, but didn't think 2:30/3:00 was pushing things too far. I've read about people maxing out gain and drive without problems.

The first time it happened I replaced V1 and V2, and that seemed to help for a couple weeks, but it just happened again. (Though I've been tweaking settings a lot lately so maybe I just hadn't had Drive up that high again before today.)

Ever heard of this problem?
Is it just a case of too much Drive overworking V1 etc?
Thanks in advance for any clues/advice.

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

OK, no big deal. With over 30 views and no replies, I'll assume either my original guess was correct in that I simply oversaturated the preamp tubes (as warned about in the owner's manual) causing them to go AWOL for a moment OR the problem is too specific to my own settings/rig/ineptitude to excite the forum.

For what it's worth, I've since tried some new 12Ax7s in V1 (Gold Lion) and V2 (Ruby) that I'm really liking and the problem hasn't recurred of late. Thanks all.

I can honestly say I've never had a single problem with my LSS. Sounds like you may have fixed it with new tubes.

Thanks Jeff. Here's yet another update:
While I THOUGHT I had the problem licked with new tubes in V1 and V2, it didn't last long.
Because when I fired 'er up a day or so later, no sound. Well, very, very faint sound anyway.
Not good.
So I started rotating tubes in and out.
New 5Y3? Still no sound.
New JJ power tubes? Still no sound.
I even dropped in a 5751 in the PI just to see what happens. Still no sound.
Then, on a whim, I toggled off the loop (which I always have on).
Ta-da! Sound! We have a winner!
So I replaced V3 and all is well.
My conclusion is that V3 was the culprit all along, cutting in and out.
It wasn't the Ch. 2 Drive at all.
Then maybe I jostled it back to life while changing V1 and V2, thus prolonging the true diagnosis until it finally died for good.
Who knows?
All I know is, I'm back in business.
In the future I'll start troubleshooting with the easy stuff first: switches, cords, connections etc. before I move to tubes. Flipping that little loop switch earlier could have saved me lots of trial and error.
Hopefully this little odyssey of mine will help someone else with similar issues in the future.
Thanks all.

Interesting: I had a very similar, if not identical issue with my LSS a couple of years or so ago, but on investigation it turned out that hard bypassing the loop fixed the issue, and since I wasn't using the loop or the solo boost function it's been hard bypassed ever since. One of these days I'll swap V3 out and see if that sorts it out.

Thanks for the info.

I hadn't used my LSS in awhile and to my dismay when I tried it out this evening the Ch 2 drive was not working. So I was thrilled to see this topic. Alas I tried all the suggestions here and no luck. I always have the loop switch hard bypassed, but I tried engaging it and I replaced V3, but nothing..... Any other suggestions?

Just a thought but if hard bypassing the loop fixed the problem you should check the loop send level knob on the back of the amp.

Hey SoundsLikeRoy, since changing V3 didn't help on its own, you may want to also replace V1 and V2.
The manual states V1 is responsible for Ch. 2 Drive (as well as input gain).
V2 is 2nd and 3rd Gain Stage.
So if your problem is strictly Drive-related, V1 and V2 may be your culprits.
Hope that helps.

Back