Tone Tubby?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skent

Reaction score
Let me start off by saying if I had a Lonestar when I was sixteen, I'd be famous by now. :mrgreen: Really, this amp produces the tone I've been looking for since I was a teenager- it only took 30 years to find it.

I bought my Lonestar 2x12 v.2 a year ago and just purchased an open back cab and I need to fill it. Of course, finances are an issue so my plan is buy a Tone Tubby red alnico and a 40/40. The eventual goal would be to buy another pair of Tone Tubby's and put those in the Lonestar. I just don't want to get started down this (expensive) road and find out that red alnico won't fit in the Lonestar cabinet. It appears that depth might be an issue. I have gone and measured but in my experience what I think is right and what is right in reality are often two different things.

Is there anyone who is using a Tone Tubby red alnico in their 2x12 Lonestar? And if so, are you happy with it?

Thanks!

Skent said:
Let me start off by saying if I had a Lonestar when I was sixteen, I'd be famous by now. :mrgreen: Really, this amp produces the tone I've been looking for since I was a teenager- it only took 30 years to find it.

I bought my Lonestar 2x12 v.2 a year ago and just purchased an open back cab and I need to fill it. Of course, finances are an issue so my plan is buy a Tone Tubby red alnico and a 40/40. The eventual goal would be to buy another pair of Tone Tubby's and put those in the Lonestar. I just don't want to get started down this (expensive) road and find out that red alnico won't fit in the Lonestar cabinet. It appears that depth might be an issue. I have gone and measured but in my experience what I think is right and what is right in reality are often two different things.

Is there anyone who is using a Tone Tubby red alnico in their 2x12 Lonestar? And if so, are you happy with it?

Thanks!
I've used, in the past, Jensen Jet Blackbird 100watt alnico pairs, and they are very huge and fit no problem. I also had them in the 2x12 open back extension cabinet without problem. So my answer is yes they'll fit! Was I happy with the sound? No! Loaded now with Eminence Commonwealth 12's and that's the way I'll stay, my taste, as close as I'll get to the old JBL E120.
Another option is the unsung hero of Eminence, the Delta Pro 12, I have those in a Randall, very similar to the old EVM 12L, and very well priced. Used by a lot and Eminence tech guy Tony has praise for both!
Both are heavy :!:
If you go that route use an 8 bolt fixing not a 4 :!:

Thanks BluesAndBooze. I ended up deciding to go with the TT Nashvilles. One alnico and one ceramic. I'll put both of those in the Lonestar and put the Black Shadows in the new cabinet until I can afford another pair of Tone Tubby's.

I'll play with it a while until I can break them in and post up my thoughts for anyone interested.

8)

Back