NAD and NCD!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penguin

Reaction score
Well, sort of, haha. I've owned a Lonestar Classic for a while. However, it originally came in a 2x12 combo. As some of you know, the thing weighs a ton. I quickly grew tired of moving it around. That's when I realized I would rather have a head and 1x12 cabinet instead.

Once I was able to sell the combo cabinet and Mesa MC90 speakers, I contacted Tim at Saxon cabs here in Canada. After a bit of research I asked Tim to build me a 24W x 20H x 12D cabinet with a convertible back. I told Tim that I loved the Two-Rock look and he took care of the rest...

IMG_1321_zps9d016661.jpg

As you can imagine, I'm beyond happy with the results! Both the head and cabinet are flawless :eek:

I couldn't decide on a speaker and even posted a topic asking for help. After a ton of research I decided on...

IMG_1318_zps8bcbea2e.jpg

The Eminence Delta Pro-12a is one hell of a speaker! It's incredibly clear and really brought my Lonestar to life. I couldn't get used to the Mesa MC90. It was just too dark for me.

If you ever plan on having a cabinet built, please consider Saxon cabs. Tim is extremely professional, accommodating and quite a nice guy!

Thanks for checking out the thread!

Looks good. I did the same thing with my LSC 2x12. I made a maple hardwood headshell and bought a 4x12 cab. I hated the blackshadow speakers for classic rock stuff. I think those speakers only sound good if you're playing solo. I was never able to get them to cut through the mix.

Oddly enough, before I decided to do this myself I did contact your boy as Saxon as he came recommended. He responded quickly and was very nice. Glad to see your happy with it.

I think I have a pair of those speakers in my PA. How/why did you choose that speaker?

Thanks, guys! :mrgreen:

plan-x said:
I think I have a pair of those speakers in my PA. How/why did you choose that speaker?

I'm a fan of D-style amps and, although the LSC isn't exactly one of those, I've been able to coax similar tones out of it. I started researching which speaker players prefer in their D-style amps and the EVM-12L was the clear winner. However, that speaker just wasn't within my budget. I came across the Eminence Delta Pro-12a after searching for an EVM-12L clone. Some even prefer the Eminence over the EVM-12L.

Initially, I was leaning towards the Eminence Red, White & Blues. However, after hearing complaints that it's fairly dark and colors your amp's tone, I chose the Delta Pro-12a. I'm glad I did. The Delta Pro-12a provides the clarity I was looking for and really lets my amp shine!

I chose the cabinet's dimensions (24W x 20H x 12D) based on the "average" dimensions of the most popular cabinets. The Mesa Boogie 1x12 3/4 cabinet is held in high regard so I kept that in mind. However, I opted for a convertible back just to give me a bit more versatility. I was aiming for a "jack of all trades" cabinet and I believe this is it.

Back