Lonestar Special problems

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a lonestar special 1x12. Generally i love it but the sound quality does not last. I gig 4-6 times a month. I play with channel 2 on maximum overdrive. I pre-dominantly use a Les Paul Classic. I just find that it does not take long for the sound quality to fade. The feedback and sheer sustain and uncontrollable noise just fades too quickly. How often should i change the valves? I don't remember changing valves and losing performance with marshall and fender twin i had in past. Could i have a problem?

How old is the amp? Did you pick it up new or used? My gut feeling is that it's time to pop some new EL84's in there, especially if the amp was previously owned by someone else.

If it's a new purchase, call Mesa and see what they think. Tubes are covered for 6 months, I think.

Cheers ifailedshapes. It was supposed to be new when i bought it but i suspect shop lied. However ive changed valves a few times. Even had to send it to westside to have some huge part that "never goes wrong" changed. Just been playing with overdrive pedal and got it to sound close to how it should. Shouldnt need overdrive when channel 2 is on max. Going to take it to a chap tomorrow. New valves. Service. How long should it last me before i change valve?. Can i change one or does it have to be all of them?b also where can i get a new handle, mine is coming undone?

Thanks

Well i've largely solved the problem. Anyone who has one of these amps has to understand how the effects loop and hard bypass work. If you have the hard bypass loop swictched on at the back then the volume controls no longer respond and you have to use the master volumes to get your sound levels. The solo function will not work.

So, naturally you switch the loop in on and operate it with the output and solo volume buttons. Brilliant. But you must set the level of the "send level" dial on the back. At least set it to normal.

It's simple but i didnt know about that. For years i've complained of differing performance levels at gigs and i had the right hump with it some nights. Anyway, solved. Just got to set the dial on the back to normal.

If you crank it up you get a real volume boost. I realise that some gigs it would have been low and others normal or high. I must have inadvertantly moved ial in transit from home to gigs. It was pot luck whether it would be in the correct position or not. Hence, differing performance levels. I thought i was going mad.

Ultimately you have to know what you are doing with the loop in and hard bypass settings. I have blindly gigged in hard bypass and loop in without realising the difference between the settings. Consequently my amp has been performing differently gig to gig and i could not work out why.
Sorted now. Doh!

Oh and re the handle problem. I called westside and they sent a new one out within 24 hrs. £20.

Gig tonight. Looking forward to it.

Cheers Jeff. Gigged last night in hard bypass. Pretty good. Played with electric kit so was nice and quiet (wedding with noise limiter). Next week i'll give it a blast on loop in mode with dial just above normal. It'll be great. Les Paul Goldtop Classic. Love it.

Latest posts

Back