Speaker swap in LSS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushwackbob

Reaction score
I do not use the LSS outside of my home so it is used at lower volume and I use it primarily with a 335-like guitar. Has anyone swapped out the 12" Black Shadow to get a jazzier and/or "fuller" sound, particularly at lower/practice volume, than one gets with the Black Shadow? Appreciate any thoughts.

I think your best option is the Celestion Gold. I have only heard good things through research, but haven't done this myself. Most of the gripes I've heard from people is the price.

jmontgomery said:
The only answer to the question is Celestion Gold.
Specifically? Or for all styles & guitars? I have a strat and 2 x 12 - with a preference for blues and blues rock. Still a the Gold, or perhaps 1 x blue and 1 x gold?

I have heard people like the pairing of a Weber Silver bell and a Weber blue bell. I've also seen a 2x12 "Tone Kit" that Eminence sells that has two different models of their speakers. Maybe a Greenback paired with the Gold.
My LSS is a1x12 and the Gold is a perfect match. Blues and rock are the styles I play also.

jmontgomery said:
I have heard people like the pairing of a Weber Silver bell and a Weber blue bell. I've also seen a 2x12 "Tone Kit" that Eminence sells that has two different models of their speakers. Maybe a Greenback paired with the Gold.
My LSS is a1x12 and the Gold is a perfect match. Blues and rock are the styles I play also.

Thanks mate, all food for thought. I'm a god-awful guitarist but I like to have (within reason) good quality stuff, so I'm always looking to optimise my kit. :)

Here is a link to a Celestion tone kit:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/celestion-blues-rock-2x12-speaker-set

There was also an Eminence tone kit that I heard good things about on that site.
I like the Gold so much that if I had a 2x12 I'd be tempted to stick two Blues in there.

Here's the Eminence kit I've heard good things about:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/eminence-barkin-blues-12-speaker-kit

There was a thread I saw here in the Lonestar section where someone bought a mismatched set of WharehouseSpeakers. It might be worth finding and PMing the person who posted about them.

Crowey said:
Thanks mate, all food for thought. I'm a god-awful guitarist but I like to have (within reason) good quality stuff, so I'm always looking to optimise my kit. :)

I had to quote this because you described me to a tee. Being in my mid 40s and starting late I don't know if I'll ever be a good player. But, I like sounding good while playing awful :lol:

jmontgomery said:
Crowey said:

I had to quote this because you described me to a tee. Being in my mid 40s and starting late I don't know if I'll ever be a good player. But, I like sounding good while playing awful :lol:

Maybe its an age thing ... I'm early 50s and only started about 7-8 years ago. I'll never have much in the way of chops, so I figure the best I can ever hope for is to follow Hound Dog Taylor's adage "They might say I played like ****, but I sure made it sound good" (or words to that effect). Mind you if I can ever boogie half as good as him I'd be over the moon.

The Celestion Gold does sound great with the LSS; I have one that I use in an extension cabinet.

But be aware that it it a LOUD speaker. If you want to keep the volume down, you might try a Celestion Creamback. It's rated at 97 dB SPL compared to 100 dB SPL for the Gold. The Gold at 15W will have about the same perceived loudness as the Creamback at 30W.

Update: I put in a Celestian Gold. It is louder than and more "full range" than the Black Shadow. I am trying to get a lot of time on it to help break it in. I am hoping for less high frequency output once it has some time on it. Even stock it is better (to me) than the Black Shadow, which I found a bit muddy.

Celestion Golds are cool and easiest way to run them in is loop in something like 16GB iPod and let it run, and they do change in getting smoother mids less brittle top end and more bottomy.
:mrgreen:

Thinking I might try a gold in my lss 1x12, quick question.... There are two 12" variants one at 8 ohms the other 15 ohms (I think).... Which should I choose?

Back