Dave Gilmour Tones??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeashleyiii

Reaction score
I'm looking into the LSS and also whether it is going to accurately reproduce some of Mr. Gilmour's tone from Shine On You Crazy Diamond... Thoughts? Conjecture?

I guess a more accurate wording of this question would be whether the clean for the LSS can match the clean for the Fender Dual Showman that was used in '74...

I had a Showman and a Dual Showman circa 70's/80's and the LSC with 100w is a better match for power and volume as compared to them. The tone of the LSC/LSS is warmer and darker which compensates for the spikeyness of Fender amps. Especially like the old Twin amps. That said, The reason I own the LSC is b/c its obvious similarity to those Showman amps of yesteryear. They were my favs. I like the LSC equally if not better. They're (Mesa's) certainly more reliable and buit like a tank. The reverb on the LSC/LSS is fantastic and they get stupid loud. Gilmour's tone is cosidered somewhat dark, so yes, I think they can cop the feel. :oops: The LSS uses EL84's which differ from the 6L6 Showmans. The LSS does not have a strong EL84 groove (like Vox) from what I've heard, and that famous EL84 chime does not stand out. Lending it to a smoother, warmer tone. The LSC OTH can take any tube, even EL84's with some yellow jacket adapters. So the LSC is considered the more versatile of the two Lonestar amps.

Thanks for the great feedback! My sound is trending towards early Gilmour and one of the main reasons the LSS has attracted my attention is because of its versatility with three different power configurations (5/15/30-35) especially since I have not played outside of my house/apt/bedroom ... well, ever. I've been chasing "the sound in my head" since I was about 15yrs old and I'm done with it - I want the amp to end my search!! Hopefully this rig will be it...

Cheers,

James

A decent compressor like a Keeley or MXR will help a lot!...I have a LSC and use EMG DG20's in one of my strats...the compressor nails it for me.

paul461 said:
A decent compressor like a Keeley or MXR will help a lot!...I have a LSC and use EMG DG20's in one of my strats...the compressor nails it for me.

Fairly new to the idea of pedals etc (my amp has on-board digital effects) If you could sum up why a compressor would be useful that would be most helpful.

I also did not know that Dave had his own line of pickups... thanks for that!

Hi...David has now returned to the Black Strat with passive pickups...the Red strat has the EMG's that he used on the Pulse DVD...it has Mid boost, Bass/Treble Boost instead of the tone controls
If you want to achieve the Gimour sound you'll need a compressor for sure...the MXR Dynacomp is a good starting point...it'll even everything out for you...a strat on the neck pick up with delay and a compressor played clean or with some drive will get you going!!!
Try the compressor on your amp with delay played clean!

Hey there
I find alot of the discussion so far has been about the LSS - however I found that when I brought my LSC 1x12 V.1 home, I could get Gilmour tones very convincingly and very easily with a Gibson Nighthawk, and a Boss CS1 comp/sus (with wampler full body mod [but even before I modded it]) .
In fact these were the first tones I was able to russle up - I love it for running the fretboard but prefer a grittier sound for my own lead sounds and had to really mess with the amp to achieve this setup rather than the smooth singing leads Gilmour made famous.... which seems to be the way my amp is primarily voiced.
There is so much variation possible with the Lonestar its unbelieveable - Ive had other amps with a plethora of settings that supposedly would enable users to achieve a wide range of tones - however and unfortunately they all tended to give you a wide range of the very same tone essentially - and this was true of my former Mesa's as well for the most part - I owned a Quad pre and Simul 295 setup that would give a very cool (and quite different from the regular class A/B) sound in pure class A however - and tended to play mainly in this setup when I discovered it....
My Mesa Nomad fell into the latter category short of changing tubes ..
I got the Lonestar in order to sub 6V6's in it but have found that the 6L6 sounds Ive been able to garner are so fantastic, I havent even ventured down that path..
and mine is the V.1 which doesnt even have the 10w class A switch (sadly)
Playing in 100W setting with the 4ohm hookup (reg power not tweed) really produced a creamy crunch that could lend itself to the Gilmourish tone -
Anyway whatever the situation with your amp you should be able to find a convincing Gilmour tone, and also a heaping helping of other delicous tones as well!!
Thank God for the Lonestar - its going to be a go to amp for me for many many years to come
Cheers
Charlie

The LSS 5 watt Class A mode is what I am stuck on. Very nice cleans. The reverb is even useable. It has a more organic tone than lets say the Super Reverb, which is either too much or not enuf.

So it's been a while since I logged in but I have an update... I finally forked out the cash for a LSC 2x12 in Wine Taurus with a Jute grille cloth. I can't believe how amazing this amp sounds...

Thanks for all of the input, I really appreciate it. :)

Sorry for being ~4yrs late in responding :/

I picked up the Lonestar 2x12 used from Morgan's Music in Lebanon, MO --- recently traded the Classic 2x12 for a Lonestar Special 1x12 and it's the amp I should have gotten - recently started running the LSS and a Vox AC15C1 in stereo and I couldn't be happier

Latest posts

Back