Brighter speaker?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brucesinger

Reaction score
hey gents,

I have been trying several speakers with LSC classic head over the last several months with my 1x12 cab. (it's a custom cab that be run closed-back or semi-open)

I'm currently trying a Weber Blue ceramic. Sounds balanced on both channels, but maybe a little dark still.

Any recommendations on a speaker to brighten things up a little? Thanks!

Hmm. Of all the speakers in any of my cabs, I find my Weber Ceramic Blue the brightest. :lol:

If you need brighter than that, and EQ tweaks can't get you there, you may want to consider either brighter tubes, or a really bright speaker like an Eminence Black Powder or Screamin' Eagle.

My vote is for tubes. The speaker will give you some definition, but you may way to try some preamp tubes. I've had better success with them.

brucesinger said:
Thanks. Tried the Tung-Sols but didn't notice any difference...

Preamp tube swaps tend to be subtle differences. A speaker swap is a much more noticeable change, but again...the Ceramic Blue is a pretty bright speaker already, to my ears at least.

brucesinger said:
Thanks guys. What tubes worked for you?

Try emailing doug's tubes. Tell him what kind of sound you want and about your amp. He'll recommend something.

hi guys,
I have an LSS 4x10 and it has the brightest, sweetest, most creamy smooth sound you can hope for. Way different from the LSS with 12" speakers.
my recommendation for brighter tone is smaller speakers - It has 2 Jensens and 2 Black Shadows in it. (SPEAKERS: 2 x Jensen Vintage Alnico, 2 x Mesa Boogie /Eminence Vintage Black Shadow)

It doesn't have some of the deeper tones - I have hooked up a 2x12 Celestion cab when I want that.

Latest posts

Back