Awesome Lonstar Classic tone! How about the LSS?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollis

Reaction score
I have been gassing for a Lonestar for a long time. Actually I've been gassing for a few of Mesa/Boogie's amplifiers, like the RA-100, LSC, and LSS. But, yesterday my local Guitar Center had a white LSC 2x12 combo, one of the older 100/50 watters. This amp was everything I've ever heard about the Lonestars. The clean channel sounded almost exactly like my Fender Deluxe Reverb, except better! It had tons of mojo and when the gain was turned up, OMG it was pure bliss! I have always wished my Deluxe Reverb had a gain knob! Stomping on a pedal just isn't the same, and I have some really good overdrive pedals. The amp is worth every bit just for the clean channel. The gain channel was almost as impressive. They didn't have a single coil guitar in the room I was trying out the amp, so I had to just play with a low-end Gibson SG. I think the overdrive channel would sound better with single coils. I also think that the mod to clone channel one would make this amp absolutely perfect! Now, how about the LSS? Does it sound just as good as the LSC? I have only owned one EL-84 amp, and I wasn't crazy about it. It was an Egnater Rebel 20, and I was never able to bond with it like I have my DRRI. I am wanting an amp with more headroom and an amp with a separate overdrive channel. I want an amp that has it's own overdrive. Also, now that the RA-100 and the Electradyne has come out, I am torn between the three. How does the clean channel of these amps compare to the Lonestar? The Lonestar clean or something better is what I want. I also like that the RA-100 and the Electradyne has awesome clean channels, and awesome British voiced gain channels as well.

I own the old version of the LSC for about 6 years. Yes the clean channel is arguably the best one out there. That's where my love affair stops with this amp. I hardly used channel 2 and thought about modding it. I decided to buy a Roadster instead. The reason being; CH1 and CH2 of the Roadster are based on the Lonestar circuit. Not quite the same, but VERY good. Great for super-clean rhythm on CH1 and semi-clean on CH2. On top of that, I have all of the dual recto tones in CH3 and CH4. It's extremely versatile. It's like 4 amps in 1 which I think is easier deal with in a live application.

If you are digging the lonestar I would tell you to grab it. How much are they selling it for?

This one was $1348. But I don't really want one with white tolex. It looked nice, but I like the tan/cocoa bronco best. If some of the other Mesa/Boogie amps have a clean channel that's just as good or better, then I'll go with something with a better gain channel. I do know one thing for sure, my next amp will be a 100 watt Mesa/Boogie.

Getting an older LSC in any color than Bronco blue is rare. And the newer ones 10/50/100 are the same in black. A white one is very rare. The mod makes the dirt ch pretty much a clone of the clean ch. That makes it very usable considering how popular the clean ch is. That price seems a little steep for an amp that's a few years old. I bet they would take $1150-1200 cash.

I'm 110% in love with my LSC 1x12...Bronco Blue and all. I have no issues coaxing any sound of it it. Between the two channels, my guitar's volume control, and judicious use of an overdrive pedal, I can conjure up any tone I would ever want. There are times that my single coil Strat needs some tweaking attention on the dials, but all in all, this is one monster of an amp!

The LSS has that incredible clean. The reverb is useable and gives your sound more 3dimensional. After the mods ch2 behaves like ch1 with drive. Very nice. Think John Mayer and Gravity tones! Then kick in the ch2 for soaring singing sustain. I have a 65 Super Reverb, 65 Bassman with 2X12 cab. 2 Princetons. 2 Champ 600s. The LSS is the one that I light up anymore.

Latest posts

Back