John Mayer Gravity tone using Mesa Boogie LSS and Strat

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfrakes

Reaction score
In the settings for MB LSS there is the knob settings for Gravity tone. For the clean parts on the song it is spot on, but for the sweet singing lead, how would you get that tone? I have a 1996 USA Strat with 50s low output single coil pickups pluged straight in. I have 3 TS-9s, a Sparkle Drive, and a Dunlop Wah with boost. I don't use pedals as they suck some of the tone.

Thanks, Ron

I like my settings here - using only channel 2 with drive engaged - guitar volume on around 7 for clean(ish) and turn up for the sustain and drive (10W setting) - great sound for anything!

JM_Strat_Lonestar.jpg

Jon, Thank you and that is great tone, but my guitar with the amp set that way isn't pushed to singing sustain.

Will more Gain or Master Gain push me to feedback sustain? When I was tinkering the other day, it seems like too much of either and the sound goes bad.

For John Mayer's Gravity the tabs show key of G, but the lead is key of E, I guess I am confused. I looked at the Gmajor Pentatonic and it matches notes in some spots.

Thanks again.

Ron

Ron,

I find that those setting give me more than enough drive and sustain most of the time. When I need more I use my Effectrode Tubedrive - in channel 1 I get a fantastic crunch - in channel 2 I get a very thick single note sound which is probably the sort of thing you are after?

TubeDrive.jpg

Best wishes

Jon

rfrakes said:
Jon, Thank you and that is great tone, but my guitar with the amp set that way isn't pushed to singing sustain.

Will more Gain or Master Gain push me to feedback sustain? When I was tinkering the other day, it seems like too much of either and the sound goes bad.

For John Mayer's Gravity the tabs show key of G, but the lead is key of E, I guess I am confused. I looked at the Gmajor Pentatonic and it matches notes in some spots.

Thanks again.

Ron

If the song is in G major.... you can play E minor for the solo. Its all the same notes

Thanks tle, I started looking at major pentatonic and noticed that. I tried my TS9 and it boosted, but did not care for the sound. I guess I will try the Sparkle drive. I have thought about buying a Zendrive, but don't want to fork out the clams.

Latest posts

Back