My LSS's smoke break.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitflogger

Reaction score
I'm bummed for a sunny day.

Somebody was trying my LSS 2x12, we heard a hum, then smoke out the back! It doesn't even look like the fuse burned through.

Further bummer is the closest "Repair Station" in the manual is 150 miles away in Chicago.

It should be under warranty but that leaves the pain of getting it to and from Chicago and the puzzle of why.

:(

was it in tube rectifier mode? Will it work in silicon diode mode? I read that alot of guys seem to have a problem with the mesa rectifier tubes in the LSS's

tle4 said:
was it in tube rectifier mode? Will it work in silicon diode mode? I read that alot of guys seem to have a problem with the mesa rectifier tubes in the LSS's

Thanks for the suggestion.

I think it was in 35 watt (it's a 2 x 12) mode. I almost always use it in 5 or 15 watt mode.

To be honest my thoughts were unplugging it because I was surprised by how much smoke came out.

Thanks again.

I had the same, or at least very similar, with my LSS a couple of years ago. It got fixed under warranty and I'm not technical enough with amps to say precisely what happened, but one of the transformers (left-hand most one as you look at the amp from behind) burnt out. Did it smell like an old carpet burning?

bitflogger said:
tle4 said:

Thanks for the suggestion.

I think it was in 35 watt (it's a 2 x 12) mode. I almost always use it in 5 or 15 watt mode.

To be honest my thoughts were unplugging it because I was surprised by how much smoke came out.

Thanks again.

I'm not an expert in carpet burning or smoking but will describe it as electrical fire.

I have an RMA from Mesa and will send the chassis and tubes to factory even though they found a servicing option 80ish miles instead of 150 miles away. I figure the trip to Mesa should insure mean any resources needed and repair done well.

It not working inspired a little amp shopping and that shopping helped me realize that I like this amp.

Back