Ch2 50W vs 100W LSC tightness - a difference, or just me?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FunkyMonkey

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been trying to get my 10/50/100 LSC to work well with the neck pickup of my clapton strat, and gain/drive at the higher end of things (2-3pm). Its given me a lot of problems, but I tried the amp at rehearsal last night in 50w diode, rather than 100w diode mode and some of the natural tone of that pickup seemed to come through better.

Anyone having thoughts or experience on the difference between response in these 2 modes on channel 2? Part of me wonders whether it is just that the power tubes are getting a bit worn (we rehearse every fortnight for a couple of hours, and gig maybe once every 4-6 weeks).

Love to hear what others have found on the 50w/100w difference!?

D

I just find the 100w a little fuller, so the thinner tone in 50w could equate to a tighter feel???

Hi,

That makes sense. I don't ever push the power tubes that hard in 100w mode, but do in 50w mode. i wonder if that introduces more compression and might make things feel tighter?

I've not changed the power tubes for 3-4 years so it might be getting near time for that, though I only gig ever 4-6 weeks, but rehearse every fortnight with one outfit or other. Not really sure how you tell 'its time'. As I say 50w seems to be working well at the moment, and have a gig on Saturday where it will get pushed harder so will be keen to hear.

D

Tubes get looser when they get older. New tubes are tighter. The 50w is more compressed I believe also. I use the 50w mode most of the time as well. Once in a while I kick up to the 100w mode and it does seem more dynamic and less compressed. That would contribute to a looser feel.

The output impedance changed when going from 100w to 50w. So if you leave the speaker plugged in the same jack, that's an output mismatched (with your speaker) that you hear.

FunkyMonkey said:
Hi,

That makes sense. I don't ever push the power tubes that hard in 100w mode, but do in 50w mode. i wonder if that introduces more compression and might make things feel tighter?

D

That's exactly right. The harder you drive the power tubes, the more the compression. I like mine at 100 watts all the time because I want less compression, less gain, bigger sound.

Latest posts

Back