Lonestar on/off question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b21

Reaction score
Hi, i'll soon be purchasing a Lonestar 1x12 Combo, i've had average tube amps but nothing as good or as expensive as this before. Many people i've asked about the use of the power and standby switches on tube amps seem to always give me a different or complicated answer on the right way to use them to prolong quality etc... as i want to take care of this amp i was wondering what's the right way to turn on and off this amp?

Do you turn the power on first, wait a minute or so then flick the standby switch to the on position, then turn the standby switch back off and play?

As for turning off the amp, you turn the standby switch off first then the power?

This seems to be the more popular answer i'm finding, but was hoping for an answer from people who have the amp themselves.

Thanks

Hi,

From the Tube Amp Handbook, waiting until the tubes warm up before taking the amp off standby is supposed to make them last longer:

When powering up (also to avoid blowing the in-line fuse)
1. standby is on (i.e. in standby mode)
2. turn on the power switch and wait a minute
3. flick standby switch so you are no longer in standby mode
4. Enjoy

Power down
1. flick the standby switch so you are in standby mode
2. turn off the power

Go into standby also when switching between tweed and full voltage, otherwise it can blow the fuse (well mine does anyway).

Sorry if that is long-winded but I wanted to avoid confusion by saying just standby is on or off.

Hope you like your new amp.

I agree with how felix vampiro has stated it. I have always treated my tube amps that way.

BTW...I am a recent owner of a LSC 1X12 combo and it is the absolute most amazing tube amp I've ever had. This is the first time in nearly 40 years that someone came up to me after a gig and complimented me on 'tone' instead of 'playing' or 'band' compliments.

Thanks!

Well, i got my lonestar today and have to agree with you ^ sounds amazing, still tweaking etc... but the tone is brilliant!

I kind of like hitting a power chord then flipping the stanby switch. Yo get some really cool Reverb OD.

Back