Favorite gain pedals?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokieboy

Reaction score
I'm a new LSC 112 combo owner and wondering what some of your favorite gain pedals are for the Lonestar?

Thanks

I use a Fulldrive 2 with an LSS. Not sure how well it'd work with the LSC, however it'd probably work well.

The Xotic BB pedal is popular with the dudes who're into Andy Timmon's sound.

Most of the time I don't use any gain or OD pedals, but occasionally I'll plug into a Maxon OD808 or a Blackstone Appliances OD. If I had to chose between the two, it would be the Blackstone...

This one's been covered before, but the BB Preamp by Xotic is a nice choice. Smooth and brings out some nice singing overtones.

I'm brand new to this forum as well as the Boogie thing in general with the LSC 1x12 I picked up used a few weeks ago.

I've been demoing my pedals all over again. Some extra tasty ones are:

Basic Audio Scarab (WOW! from chimey grit rolled down to hugeness all on the guitar's volume)
Keeley-modded big box RAT
Analogman Astrotone
Foxrox Hot Silicon
Dazatronyx Germanium treble booster

I'm up on the Tim(my) list this month so I'll have something new to try soon.

These days it's the Barber LTD SR for me. Lately I've been using only that and my amp's two channels, and very little else. Extremely transparent and amp-like.

I'm in the Fulltone FD 2 camp

Offers an excellent range of tweak options that work well with both my LSC & MKV

I'll cast a vote for the Wampler Pinnacle. Really versatile OD that works great with my LSS.

Another vote for the Fulldrive 2. It's not a Marshall-in-a-box type of pedal, but it's a very warm, transparent overdrive.

moonroom said:
I'll cast a vote for the Wampler Pinnacle. Really versatile OD that works great with my LSS.
I'd love to give that pedal a whirl on my LSC at some deafening decibals.

plan-x said:
moonroom said:
I'd love to give that pedal a whirl on my LSC at some deafening decibals.

Yeah. That'll give you a haircut. Fo sho.

i use a double trouble overdrive by visual sound which is immense,its two overdrives in one (apparently based on the way SRV used 2 ts808's) ,and you can use either side or both together,my lonestar coupled with this pedal gives me a sweet john mayer tone.iv even started using it instead of the amps gain channel.i also you use an old boss os-2 as snarly solo boost which blows your head off or just as a good marshally type of distortion,i get compliments on tone all the time :D

djw said:
These days it's the Barber LTD SR for me. Lately I've been using only that and my amp's two channels, and very little else. Extremely transparent and amp-like.

based on djw's advice i started researching barber pedals, youtube comparisons etc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsuJ0M0UEkc
that guy gearmandude does excellent comps of various pieces...

i wound up with the barber 1/2 gainer and it is great. like djw said:very transparent-it let's the sound of the gtr and amp come thru. this model is actually 2 ltd's in one pedal. really enjoying it!

btw djw,
thanks for the barber tip!
and also for your other posts, for that matter. i've learned alot from the knowledge u and the other regulars here have been so kind to share.
best wishes!

Word up Dangit! plan-x is sort of the LSC+Barber guru around here, I have only learned from the master...

I have some questions for the Fulltone Fulldrive 2 enthusiasts: How do you use the FD2 with the Lone Star? I tried it, could not find my way with it, sold it, then later read that it's the kind of thing that takes some band-level volume to really make sense. True? Do you use it with the clean or drive channels or both? Solos, rhythm? I've never been much of a TS808 guy, but just recently it dawned on me that something like this with a mid-hump might actually be a good thing -- and even, in terms of leads, might be a smoother transition than the amp's solo boost feature.

Any of you FD2 guys feel like schooling me on this?

I used my FD2 for about 12 years with a Boogie DC-5 and always got good results. Oddly enough, I haven't been able to get the thing to play nice w/my LSS at all; I get this really odd phase cancellation thing every time I try it. Really frickin' weird.

For what it's worth, I always used my FD2 strictly for leads (DC-5 cleans are hairier than Lonestar cleans). With comp-cut enabled and the tone knob set to match the general amp EQ I always got a nice singing boost with the drive knob set to noon or lower. The 'boost' channel is ok but I never dug this pedal too much as a high gain thing. I agree, though, that running your FD2 at stage volume (assuming you get another FD2 at some point) will probably help the 'bonding' process.

I'd be curious to know if anyone else has run into the phase-cancellation thing at all with their FD2/Lonestar setup. It's not subtle on my end- it sounds like the low end goes out the window when you turn the pedal on.

I've only had my LSS for a few days, but the FD2 sounds like a FD2. I have friends who use it through a Fender Blues Jr, a Fender Hotrod Deville, and an Orange Rocker 30. No matter which amp, the FD2 sounds like itself. I've only had my LSS at a gigging volume once, and I didn't have my pedalboard with me at the time, so I can't really comment yet, but at low volumes it seems to be more of the same.

Another friend is borrowing my MXR Classic Overdrive (best cheap pedal I've ever seen, btw) which he is stacking with a Barber LTD and a BB Preamp. He's running all of those through an Egnater Rebel 20, and his tone is always really good. I'll be taking the MXR back pretty soon to see how it works with the LSS. I will post in this thread about both the MXR and the FD2 after I've had a chance to play with some real volume. :)

Latest posts

Back