LSC Tube Retainers?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRVYJM

Reaction score
Does anyone else have a problem with their tubes getting crooked and almost falling out when the move it from home to gig and back? Mine always seem to get knocked about (LSC, 23" Head) since there is not much room at all in the back. I think the power chord knocks them about. Anyway, does anyone have tube spring retainers installed? Is it tough to do and where can I find them? I've looked all over online and can't find any.

I got in the practice of giving them all a little push into place when I arrive at the gig. No pavement/sidewalk is ever that smooth so rolling it on the casters might jar them enough to come loose. Just a habit I got into.

YES! This drives me nuts. I have the LSS, and the wire retainers do not firmly hold the EL84s in their sockets. They tend to angle forward due to vibration or getting moved by the power cord. It doesn't seem to take much. At my third gig with this amp, I turned it on at soundcheck and it started smoking and the fuse blew. Turned out one of the tubes was leaning so far out a few of the pins were not in contact. Ruined the entire quartet of new JJ tubes. I had a spare fuse and a spare set of tubes (and a crate powerblock as a last resort backup) so I was able to continue. But it was very stressful and took me a while to figure out that the tubes were loose and causing the problem.

Now I am careful to check that the tubes are seated and straight in their sockets after I move the amp anywhere. This to me is a design flaw I've never seen in a Boogie amp. My Maverick has the same type of retainers but this has never been a problem with that amp.

You might try pulling the power tubes and pinching the retainer fins closed a little bit, so that the gaps are a little smaller than the tubes' diameter... they actually work when they exert enough tension on the tube collars.

Latest posts

Back