Is it possible to use other tubes than EL84´s in LSS ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoombie woof

Reaction score
Hello friends!

I´m a newbie here and as you could see this is my first posting, so please, be good to me !!!!!

I have a Lonestar Special Head and it´s about time to change the tubes for the first time. Just like for all the rest of you guys, my life is nothing else than just a loooong chase for the perfect sound. A couple of days ago this question popped up in my head: How about putting in a set of other tubes than the standard EL84´s in my amp? What would happen? Am I going to destroy the amp forever? Will nothing happen, except for a (crappy) sound?

So for this week-end I´ve been stuck in front of my PC, trying to find some answers to my questions by google, but I´ve found nothing except for this Forum, which I think is the right place. Maybe there´s an old-timer here, able to answer my questions. Unless somebody here can help me out, I can live with ordering the usual set of EL84´s. No big deal.

But I would appreciate it very much, if somebody could give me some info about alternative tubes.

zoombie woof said:
Hello friends!

I´m a newbie here and as you could see this is my first posting, so please, be good to me !!!!!

I have a Lonestar Special Head and it´s about time to change the tubes for the first time. Just like for all the rest of you guys, my life is nothing else than just a loooong chase for the perfect sound. A couple of days ago this question popped up in my head: How about putting in a set of other tubes than the standard EL84´s in my amp? What would happen? Am I going to destroy the amp forever? Will nothing happen, except for a (crappy) sound?

But I would appreciate it very much, if somebody could give me some info about alternative tubes.

I don't think you can. I know Eurotubes offer a lower watt(?) version of an EL84 but it would probably need the cathode resistors to be changed to accomodate them. It is possible to put EL84s in EL34 amps using an adaptor but not the other way round. You will find that the brand of tube can make a huge difference in the sound however. My LSS is well out of its warranty and I had (thought I had) good results with JJ El84s. That was untill I tried some new old stock valves (Philips EL84s from 1967). The have really livened the amp up and it sounds great. I don't feel I am having to fight it to get a good sound. They also should last longer than modern valves but that remains to be seen. I also got a selection of old used pre amp tubes which are fantastic, a mullard and a couple of Brimars amongst others. Definately recommended. Made a big difference and I was pretty sceptical before I went down this route.

Somehow you managed to purchase one of the HOly Grail amplifiers ever made, in my opinion. You are so lucky and you don't know it. My LSS was probably my 3rd tube amp, and I went on to buy and try maybe another 2 dozen amps, only to return to the Mesa Lonestar Special. It will NOT accept any tubes but the EL84's....but in the end, these are sweeeeeeet tubes. check out my recent posting in this section on my comparison of the LSS to a Two Rock Classic. Congratulations, you don't know it but you're in heaven. If you want to try different tones, start switching out a series of 1x12 cabinets. Avatar is the best bang for the buck and start with their Hellatone 60 speaker in a contemporary open cab....go from there. The head is perfect. If you have the combo, find some cheap used Celestion vintage 30. You'll get some great traction by playing with the speakers, especially in the 1x12 format. check out the avatar site for good deals on speakers and cabs. It will allow a lot of experimenting with little heartbreak. You can find some subtle differences in tube manufacturers....but there are HUGE differences in speakers and cabinets.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the OP is asking about different brands of EL-84s, not different types, such as EL-34s or 6L6s.

(Lots of luck trying to install anything other than EL-84s in an amp with EL-84 sockets. Not going to happen. Totally different sizes.)

You could search for "7189" tubes. They are a ruggedized military version of the EL-84.

MrMarkIII said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the OP is asking about different brands of EL-84s, not different types, such as EL-34s or 6L6s.

(Lots of luck trying to install anything other than EL-84s in an amp with EL-84 sockets. Not going to happen. Totally different sizes.)

You could search for "7189" tubes. They are a ruggedized military version of the EL-84.

Well the title of the thread is:

Is it possible to use other tubes than EL84´s in LSS ?

So no, I don't think the OP was asking about different brands.

Latest posts

Back