Black Shadow MS-12 on a LSC combo or extension cabinet?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

igfraso

Reaction score
Has anybody tried the Eminence MS-12 150W on a Lonestar Classic vs the stock C-90. If so, how do they compare?
Thanks

Let me try to be a little bit more clear on my question.

I have a 1x12 LSC with a C-90 and a 3/4 back extension cabinet with one C-90 as well.

I want to have a less muddy and more defined channel 2 and I think that the EVM-12L is probably going to be the best option.

Nevertheless, I am just trying to find out if there is a better option than the EVM for the 3/4 back extension cabinet while keeping the C-90 in the combo:
- V30?
- MS-12?
- G12H-100 or G12K-100?
- Altec 417?

Thanks
Daniel

I am surprised by the lack of suggestions. Sorry if it was a stupid question to ask.

I am just trying to listen to your experience in improving the sound of the chanel 2, just by changing speakers.
I will certainly appreciate any advice or guidance.

Best regards
Daniel

Its not a stupid question to ask :)
This isnt the busiest forum.
I cant help much. I use v30s in a closed back 212 cab. I have tried a g12h100 in a combo. But I dont like the sound of Mesa's combo cabs so no real reference there.
I dont find the LS ch 2 too muddy for what I use it for and how Im set up.
Others do and I think most find a happy place doing the mods at the head of the Lone Star series forum. Trying those simple mods might save you $$ in finding the right speaker or the price of a new amp if the speaker trails dont pan out.
As much as I didnt like the Reeder mods affect on my amp enough here swear by it so I would try it before any thing else. They are easy and reversible.

Have a sensational day.

Thank you very much, lostcause.
How do you compare the sound and the articulation of the V30 with the G12H-100, if I may ask?

Thank you again!!

Hi:
I think the lack of responces you are getting to your speaker question is due to the very different ideas of what is the target sound amongst LS users. Recommending a speaker seems to be one of the most 'dangerous' ideas to tackle.

Just name a speaker and you'll find someone who swears by it in a LS. All speaker choices are by nature a compromise. I think the stock C-90 is a good choice of a compromise speaker. I have tried and used a bunch of excellent speakers in an effort to get the exact 'flavor' I sought...and done a bunch of swappimg around and swapping back.

Currently with my LSC Combo....I am using the stock C-90 in the 1x12 combo...with a Celestion G12K100 in the extension cabinet. The 12K100 is cleaner, more sharply defined with a tighter bottom end bass responce. It is a little like a G12T75 with slightly more mids and distinct highs; but with a much firmer and louder bass end. The combination of the 2 different speakers seems to be very effective to me. The C-90 gives warmth and rich harmonic distortion...a taste of 'slur' in the midrange...while the G12K100 gives definition and 'backbone' to the sound.

I'll go so far as to recommend it...but you must realize that with speakers we may use the same words to describe our tone-quest while actually meaning slightly different things! So try one at your own risk!

Whatever you choose...best of luck!

Charles

I used to have an EVM-12L in a 1x12 combo (Mark III) and didn't like it. I found it very bright and stiff (not bright in a harsh Celestion kind of way, the top end is quite clear... there's just a whole lot of it). For lack of a better description - it was kind of a boring speaker.

From reading various comments over time a lot of people feel the same way. The speaker seems to excel in ported cabs (which is what it was designed for), and an open back isn't the best choice of enclosures for it.

If you're having issues with the amp being too dark, try bringing the treble knob up to somewhere between 1:00 and 3:00. Due to the design of the preamp the treble knob controls the overall tonality of the amp more than it does the actual treble and raising it up opens up the voice of the amp. Use the presence knob to control the actual treble.

Thank you, Charles and Screamingdaisy. Your suggestions are very much appreciated.

I will try again the treble/presence settings and then probably I will end up trying in the extension cabinet a Celestion G12K-100.
For some reason I don't totally like the two C-90 together and wasn't very convinced either with the V-30 on the 3/4 open extension cab.

Thank you all again for replying my "dangerous" question. :lol:

Latest posts

Back