bad tubes in LSS....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jared Purdy

Reaction score
Hey,

I've had my LSS for just over a month now. So far, I've had to replace a 5Y3 rectifier tube (locale store that I bought it from re-imbursed me) and from listening to it tonite, it's pretty clear there is at least one tube that has gone microphonic. What gives? Anyone else out there with a LSS have these isses after a month? I'm not evening gigging with it! It sits in my dining room, 24/7.

I've replaced 3 5y3's so far but thats been over 2 years. No other trouble. I just bought a nos 5v4 so I don't plan on replacing a rec tube any time soon.

i replaced one rectifier tube in 2 1/2 yr

i've read here that there was a rectifier tube issue with earlier models, but supposedly mesa fixed it, and has retro-modded amps to address the problem...

dangit said:

i've read here that there was a rectifier tube issue with earlier models, but supposedly mesa fixed it, and has retro-modded amps to address the problem...

Mine is new, though I'm not sure how long it sat in the store. I guess I could call Mesa and ask what year it is, and if it is the new model with the fixed problem. When did they have this issue? Do you knnow if you can do a product date search with the serial number from their web site?

Mine is new, though I'm not sure how long it sat in the store. I guess I could call Mesa and ask what year it is, and if it is the new model with the fixed problem. When did they have this issue? Do you knnow if you can do a product date search with the serial number from their web site?[/quote]

good questions, but i don't know the answers offhand...
i believe i've seen these questions addressed here on the boards....

have a happy new year!!!

Jared Purdy said:
dangit said:

Mine is new, though I'm not sure how long it sat in the store. I guess I could call Mesa and ask what year it is, and if it is the new model with the fixed problem. When did they have this issue? Do you knnow if you can do a product date search with the serial number from their web site?

I can't remember the exact serial number where the change happened but I'm pretty sure it was below 4400.... so if your serial number is higher than that it'll already have the update.

As for the tubes going microphonic, unfortunately that's the way it goes. Mesa can test tubes all they want but there's no test that'll predict how long a tube will last.

Anyway, here's a somewhat recent thread where Mesa responded to this issue;

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=49222

Back