LSS: Confusion & consensus over loop and bypass.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitflogger

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm confused by the manual and other reading both suggesting using the Loop output to adjust final volume and also stating that the tubes and circuitry has a detrimental effect on tone. This amp is much more feature laden than anything I've had so I'm still learning. I don't hear any major difference but changed to hard bypass and my pedals, looper and BBE maximizer are all between guitar and main input.

Any general consensus as to what's best? It would seem the real advantage would be using it for the solo feature which I'm not doing and I do not yet know why I should use the loop in any other way.

Does using the loop change or even out responsiveness from individual guitars? I ask because the LSS does not behave as consistently with my different guitars as Princeton Reverb next to is.

Thank you for any insights and learning.

You only need to use the loop if you're using delay or other effects (chorus) that sound better after distortion.

If all you're using is some wah and an overdrive or compressor or something there's no requirement to use the loop for anything.

I prefer to use mine with the loop in bypass, but I also don't use any effects with it.

As for the amp sounding inconsistent, it's pretty sensitive to the types of guitars and pickups you're using and takes a bit of getting used to since it doesn't tend to make everything sound the same.

screamingdaisy said:
You only need to use the loop if you're using delay or other effects (chorus) that sound better after distortion.

OK, that nailed why I thought one would use the loop if they're not doing some sort of high level production. I'm a network engineer, not sound engineer so this is new to me.

I rarely use pedals and it's with clean tone so I have not considered any change. So would I take same instrument cables I have and loop make that separate loop off of my pedal board?

Thanks.

bitflogger said:
So would I take same instrument cables I have and loop make that separate loop off of my pedal board?

Yes.

I found this on Google. It's kind of goofy, but it's the most straightforward one I could find;

fxlupnk0.jpg

And someone's pedalboard I found... you can see how his wah, distortion and compressor pedals have a cable leading off to plug into the front of the amp while and the chorus and reverb pedals are fed by a second pair of cables via the effects loop.

dsc02716jemsite.jpg

screamingdaisy said:
bitflogger said:
So would I take same instrument cables I have and loop make that separate loop off of my pedal board?

Yes.

I found this on Google. It's kind of goofy, but it's the most straightforward one I could find;

That's my understanding. I'm building (slowly) a 2 watt amp, got some books and that's how I understand it. Maybe I'll get that amp done if I don't spend too much time playing with the new Lonestar.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back