Lonestar Special

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PHYX

Reaction score
I'm thinking about a Lonestar Special but have heard about problems blowing out tubes. Has anyone had any problems with this amp? I've had several Boogie's except for the new Mark V and this one. I only play at home and once in a blue moon I might go out and jam with the old band. I do like the 5,15 & 30 watt settings. I do play the 80's rock type music and thought I would give this amp a try unless you can change my mind.
Thanks!
Jim

The only tube problem I have is the rectifier tube. Its 20 bucks, and it goes out on average once a year.

Buy one pop it in and done. After the first one went out I bought 2 and always keep a spare.

Hope this helps,

Rick

You can search for info here to verify this. From what I understand, the early LSS models (15/30) had problems. The newer ones are OK.

plan-x said:
You can search for info here to verify this. From what I understand, the early LSS models (15/30) had problems. The newer ones are OK.

What year are the newer ones.

Thanks!
Jim

Wouldn't a $20-30 NOS 5Y3 solve this or does the amp kill real 5Y3s as well?

Vogelsong said:
The only tube problem I have is the rectifier tube. Its 20 bucks, and it goes out on average once a year.

Buy one pop it in and done. After the first one went out I bought 2 and always keep a spare.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Don said:
Wouldn't a $20-30 NOS 5Y3 solve this or does the amp kill real 5Y3s as well?

Vogelsong said:

Hope this helps,

Rick

Well I just bought a new Mesa 5y3 back in july, so I guess that is the NOS one. I'll let ya know how long it lasts.

Don't let rectifier tube stories scare you too much. The earlier models do have a tendency to blow the Mesa branded Sovtek 5Y3's. I have a 2005 model and blew a couple before switching to an NOS JAN Philips 5Y3. No problems at all since then.

Even if the rectifer tube blows, you can still use the amp in the 30W mode.

Mesa will also do a free mod to the older amps by clipping two 470 ohm resistors to reduce current thru the 5Y3. Supposedly that will allow the Sovtek 5Y3's to survive. I had it done about a year ago because Mesa Hollywood was able to do it on the spot and I happened to have my amp in the trunk, but I don't think it's necessary if you use an NOS rectifier.

BTW my amp is used pretty heavily--about 20 hours per week. The NOS rectifier has been in service without fail for over 3 years.

PHYX said:
plan-x said:

What year are the newer ones.

Thanks!
Jim
Serial number above (approximately) 4500 are the new ones, these were built w/o the two 470 ohm resistors. For the old ones, you just need to clip (remove) these resistors. No problem if you use nos tube, however. Most importantly I can not hear any audible differences w/ or w/o the resistors.

Bought a used one from GC in mint condition. Was 1399 used and I got it on price drop to 899 and thought it was worth a try since it retails for 2k new. Amp did not function in 5 or 15 watt mode. They finally decided to go ahead and put new tubes in it and it worked. Shipped it to me, had it two weeks and it blew the fuse . Not sure if it blew a the rec tube or a power tube before it blew the fuse.

Serial number in the 3200 range . I took it back and they ordered me a different one, serial 4800 area. Hope this one will work fine. The first amp sounded awesome and if this one doesnt blow in the first 60 days I will indulge on a new set of tubes for the whole thing.

When the new one shows I'll update if anyone cares to hear. Overall awesome sounding amp when i was working. First boogie i've ever liked the clean in. If you want that huge heavy tone , especially distorted, stick to boogies other amps. This one has a good amount of gain but just be realistic, check youtube vids before you buy .

I blown 3 5y3 tube since I bought my Lonestar in 2006, now I use Electro Harmonix tube and they seems to last longer. You would have less problem if you use a power-bar as protection.

Here's the bands in which I used a Lonestar Special in studio

N'être (2007)
http://www.myspace.com/n39tre/music

French Frogs (2011)
http://soundcloud.com/french-frogs

Feel free to like us on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/French-Frogs/210648385687049

I have have had two, and currently have one. Yes, I have found, based on the two that I have had they do in fact blow rectifier tubes very easily. The first one I bought, about a year and half ago, was new from a dealer. Within about 6 weeks, it blew four or five rectifiers, plus the fuses. I took the amp back, they took it a part and could find absolutely nothing wrong with it. I returned it for a refund as the problem woulld not go away. Fast forward several months and I was really missing the tone form it - it really is an amazing sounding amp with either a Tele, Strat or LP. Over that time I picked up a Swart AST 112, a great hand wired amp out of North Carolina. Great amp, but I just didn't care for the tone in the clean channel with my LP. So I decided to take another chance on a LSS. I managed to find a used one that was only about a month old in as new condition, so I took my chances. Sure enough, with a week, it blew the rectifier (and the fuse). I callled up the previous owner and he told me that he was not running Mesa branded tubes in it and had put the stock Mesa tubes in it for the sale.

I decided to go to the store where he bought it (not the same as the one I bought my first). I went straight to the tech department and they told me that the Chinese made 5Y3 was junk, and that it likely was reacting to switiching betweeen the different wattages. They advised two things: 1, put it into standby first before switiching watagges, and 2nd, and proabably more important, use the Sovtek 5Y3. I mentioned to them that if there is a problem with the amp during the warranty period and it was related to a non-branded Mesa tude that the warranty would be void. They told me not to worry about it, that the store would honor the warranty, and that nothing would happen anyways. I think it was March that I got the currrent LSS, use it every day, usualy between 5 and 15 watts and not a single tube blown. It truely is an amazing sounding amp. BTW, if you get it, you'll need to turn down the bass and midrange for any of the big three quitars (especially the LP), it's bass and mid heavy, but the controls work very well. For me, it beat out the Swart AST Master and my stock 75' Fender PR (one of the holy grails of clean). It's a very repsonsive amp, and the clean channel is unbelievabley rich and harmonic. The drive channel obviously does quite a bit, but if you want to dial in just enough for a classic blues, or Texas blues break-up, no problem. In a couple of weeks I'm going have the chance to compare it to a Swart STR Tweed and a Carr Sportsman. I look forward to that. Best of luck

I have had many issues with my special: blown five 5y3 as well as 4 el84s and many fuses. There are burning smells emitted and now, even the 30 watt channel is acting like it wants to falter. The amp is 2 years old and has been to the authorized dealer two times not counting going there today. The latest recommendation from Mesa techs was followed by the dealer (replacing a 3 watt switch with a 5 watt switch) but, alas, I played for about 5 to 10 minutes on low volume and gain and the rectifier went out again and the burning smell was worse. I loved the sound of this amp but fear it is a permanent problem.

All in all though, I consider the LSS Amp the best sounding amp I have ever heard. I cant wait to have the problem solved.

If you read through the threads you'll find that the NOS 5Y3 tubes will hold up. It's the new 5Y3s that are blowing. You can buy a NOS 5Y3 for about $20. Even cheaper on the bay. I just bought two for less than $20.

My LSS blew a couple of rectifier tubes in the first year I had it (got it new in 2009, not sure of the serial number, but based on the info above, must be one of the newer ones) and roached a couple of fuses as well, but other than that early period of ill temperament, mine has been well behaved. i have many amps around, including other mesas, and i've played countless others, but for jamming at home or with friends, or for copping up some quick sweet tones, the LSS is my all-around all-time favorite. I also realize that my contributions to this discussion are of no assistance whatsoever, and for that i apologize. I wish you the best in solving your amp woes, good luck!

PHYX said:
I'm thinking about a Lonestar Special but have heard about problems blowing out tubes. Has anyone had any problems with this amp? I've had several Boogie's except for the new Mark V and this one. I only play at home and once in a blue moon I might go out and jam with the old band. I do like the 5,15 & 30 watt settings. I do play the 80's rock type music and thought I would give this amp a try unless you can change my mind.
Thanks!
Jim
:D
Had mine for 8 years still on original rectifier valve, changed preamp valves day one for Mullards, overrated, and they're still strong, had one power valve set replacement in all that time. It gets cranked high, usually 3 o'clock, and works a lot.
Only problem I've had, which is not uncommon, is resistors in plate load positions of preamp tubes and had carbon ones replaced with metal film types.
I swapped the speaker, but that's personal.
I really rate both my Lonestars 8)

Latest posts

Back