My LSS seams to have some fuzz?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vogelsong

Reaction score
On the 2nd and third channel, if I hit a hard chord there seems to be some fuzz that I never noticed before in the backround of the distortion. It is not quite to the point of static but I never noticed it before and I think it makes the amp sound cheap.

Has anyone else experienced this or am I hearing things?

Now just to let you know I did have a tech make my third channel foot switchable by installing a stereo jack inplace of the reverb jack, I then installed a third foot switch in the middle of my stomp box. I then use a stereo cable in the new reverb jack and run the other 2 ends into the reverb stomp box and the other socket in my channel box. The factory socket in the channel box still goes to the front foot switch jack.

Oh one more thing, I play mainly at 5w, although I hear it in all wattage settings. I think today Im going to switch around some tubes and see if that changes anything.

Thanks for any insight.

Vogelsong

This sound is only there when you hit a hard chord on the guitar?

I'd double check your speaker is screwed in tight, then double check to see if there's any loose bolts anywhere else.

screamingdaisy said:
This sound is only there when you hit a hard chord on the guitar?

I'd double check your speaker is screwed in tight, then double check to see if there's any loose bolts anywhere else.

I don't think thats it, I did a lot of reading on the board last night and so I switched some tubes around. That didn't fix it, then I started to mess with my eq settings, My treble was at 11 o'clock, I know have both turned up to 2 and 3 o'clock. That seems to have taken care of it.

Go figure, thanks for the reply.

Rick

Now that my hears have spent some time with the new settings I think I can still hear that fuzz that was annoying me so much, its not as prevalent but it's still there.

I heard someonelse on here complain of a fizz sound from their LSS. I think that would be a better way of describing it.

Im starting to get a little frustrated with it. I don't know if others can hear it, but it annoys the hell out of me.

Vogelsong said:
On the 2nd and third channel,
Vogelsong
The LS has only 2 channels. Not sure what you're referring to by third channel.
A couple things: set ch1 and ch2 to identical setting, does the fizz occur on both?
As suggested, if it only occur at a certain note or loudness then most likely it's a something rattling in the chassis or cabinet. You need to be able to consistently replicate the fizz and identify exactly where this fizz/rattling is from. Do this first before going to the electronics.
As for me on a couple amps, the speaker baffle board has to be tighten due to cold weather/wood shrinkage. Took me awhile to isolate it.

ja22y said:
Vogelsong said:
On the 2nd and third channel,
Vogelsong
The LS has only 2 channels. Not sure what you're referring to by third channel.
A couple things: set ch1 and ch2 to identical setting, does the fizz occur on both?
As suggested, if it only occur at a certain note or loudness then most likely it's a something rattling in the chassis or cabinet. You need to be able to consistently replicate the fizz and identify exactly where this fizz/rattling is from. Do this first before going to the electronics.
As for me on a couple amps, the speaker baffle board has to be tighten due to cold weather/wood shrinkage. Took me awhile to isolate it.

Sorry I always refer to the 2nd channel and the OD switch as 2 and 3. I have a third switch installed in my Mesa channel pedal to switch it all in and out with the switch so for me it's like having 3 channels.

As for the sound it doesn't sound buzzy or rattley. It definetley has a level of fidelity to it. Or to put it another way the fizz has an electronic character to it. It only happens with overdrive or gain. If I crank a loud clean level it is never there.

If it's fizzy with high gain and more fizz when you're kicking the drive then perhaps it's the tube you use in V1. If it doesn't sound abnormal then may be that's just the nature of the beast, hard to tell. To me the LSS does the clean and medium crunch well but sucks at high gain. I have NOS tubes in V1 and V2 which helps tame the fizzy high associated with modern tube. If you think that it's a tone thing, try using an EQ in the fx loop and see if you can dial it out.

Just my two cents, but it's probably a safe bet (if it is infact the electronics) that it's the combination of tubes in your V1-V2-V5 (phase inverter) sockets. I have the lonestar classic, but I had (still have possibly ? lol) this too. The original mesa tubes I had in there were russian tubes and they had this character to them. After I reeder modded it, the sound became more clear but so did the fizz. Remember that these mesa's have the cascading gain structures, so all the tubes play a role in the sound. The russian tubes that came stock in my lonestar made every amp I tried them in have this sound. So if your lonestar is a year or more old (or whenever mesa started using JJ's instead of russian 2's and chinese tubes) then this is probably why. The JJ's I had in the lonestar didn't do this, but sounded way darker. Anyhow, what I'm leading you to, is you may want to give a few tubes in your preamp a shot. Like I said v1 and v2 both have strong effects on each other and will determine both your overdriven and clean tone characteristics. I would get a good tube in your phase inverter slot, it won't get rid of the fizz (maybe a little bit), but it will bring your amp to life when you find a good one in there.

You can find some great NOS and even reissue tubes for decent prices. Some people seem to like eurotubes, others like dougstubes, kcanostubes, thetubedepot, and the list goes on. My advice is to talk to a couple vendors and see who can offer the greatest help.

Anyhow, I wish you the best of luck and hope this helps, just let me know if you need any help !

~ Sean

PilotSSW said:
Just my two cents, but it's probably a safe bet (if it is infact the electronics) that it's the combination of tubes in your V1-V2-V5 (phase inverter) sockets. I have the lonestar classic, but I had (still have possibly ? lol) this too. The original mesa tubes I had in there were russian tubes and they had this character to them. After I reeder modded it, the sound became more clear but so did the fizz. Remember that these mesa's have the cascading gain structures, so all the tubes play a role in the sound. The russian tubes that came stock in my lonestar made every amp I tried them in have this sound. So if your lonestar is a year or more old (or whenever mesa started using JJ's instead of russian 2's and chinese tubes) then this is probably why. The JJ's I had in the lonestar didn't do this, but sounded way darker. Anyhow, what I'm leading you to, is you may want to give a few tubes in your preamp a shot. Like I said v1 and v2 both have strong effects on each other and will determine both your overdriven and clean tone characteristics. I would get a good tube in your phase inverter slot, it won't get rid of the fizz (maybe a little bit), but it will bring your amp to life when you find a good one in there.

You can find some great NOS and even reissue tubes for decent prices. Some people seem to like eurotubes, others like dougstubes, kcanostubes, thetubedepot, and the list goes on. My advice is to talk to a couple vendors and see who can offer the greatest help.

Anyhow, I wish you the best of luck and hope this helps, just let me know if you need any help !

~ Sean

Sean,

I appreciate the input. The reeder mod helped a lot. If I do anything with tubes I'll be sure to talk to ya.

On my Lonestar Special 1x12 with channel 2 and drive selected, when I hit a note you hear an ugly and scratchy distorted sound on the attack before settling down to the normal smooth overdrive sound. The more I engage treble and presence the more this scratchy distorted sound is audible. Same if I engage more drive. If I select thick or thicker, you hear that a little bit less. Looks like we're talking about the same problem. Have you found the solution?

Back