LSS for Jazz

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushwackbob

Reaction score
Anyone using a LSS for jazz? I can't seem to find a setting that I like. I am talking about low volumn with a small archtop. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I don't have a lss I have a MKV.. I use it for jazz in 10 watt mode...Fat on..lots of bass.. Flat treble. very little reverb...hope that helps.

Don't do jazz but do some stuff like Herbies Chameleon. Not sure your prob but a thing I have found is for my semi hollow body I have to have my pickups set pretty high or there is just too much bottom end on the clean channel. Although hairy the 5 watt mode seems to work best to manage the fatness and largeness of the semi hollow.

Unfortunately this then creates a problem of it having a big volume jump when switching with the Tele.

My Express 5:50 is really nice for jazz. I always imagined the Lonestar to be even better.

There's a point on the gain knob on the clean channel where the tone fattens up before it get's dirty, especially when the guitar's volume is turned down a bit. I wonder if the Lonestar reacts that was as well?

It is just the fatness that I would like to tame here. Even in channel 1. I wonder if it's time to consider a different speaker...

Does it have a Celestion C-90 speaker? I've found that to be a very warm, round sounding speaker. I tried an Eminence Tonker. It was more articulate but less warm. It didn't suit my needs as well.

Yes. Stock Black Shadow speaker. I am just grasping at straws here be wise I am going through a phase of not liking the sound with my thin archtop. Hence the request to see what settings others might use for jazz.

This is REALLY depending on the guitar you are using. In fact, it is extremely different from archtop to archtop.

I use the top settings with my Höfner Jazzica Custom; if too bassy/fat I raise the treble a bit and lower the mids (turning each towards each other, but maintaining the same ratio). You might just do that to start with, actually; treble at 11 o' clock and mids on 1 o' clock.

This is a sound I personally like; it's definitely not your classic archtop sound, but it's very round and fat. Should also help thin sounding archtops.

LonestarSettings.jpg

My LSS sits next to my Fender and I find channel 1, dials close to noon, not too much gain and reverb on bright to be rather jazz or Fender-like. The reverb from warm to bright seems to get it more like the Fender black face in a hurry than tweaking other dials but I confess to being a reverb junkie.

I also wonder about the guitar. The LSS response to different guitars is more extreme than with the Princeton Reverb next to it. My guitars are single coil, noiseless (Fender SCN) and hollow body with humbuckers.

bushwackbob said:
Anyone using a LSS for jazz? I can't seem to find a setting that I like. I am talking about low volumn with a small archtop. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

my opinions keep changing, but this is what i've been digging as of right now:
5watt setting
"o'clock" #'s: G-12 T-10.5 M-9 B-11.5 P-1.5 M-10 Output-2

i read somewhere here that keeping the channel masters lower and turning up output cleaned up the low end. the writer's idea was that turning up the ch master was putting too much into the circuit. (thank you to whoever wrote that-sorry i forgot who, or i'd gladly give u the credit u deserve for your help!). i was enjoying the rich bassy sound of masters on 12 or 1 or 2 and was turning the output down to make better room volume, but it was a bit TOO big and boomy (though i did sort of like that cushion on the bottom). it was good for solo gtr , but cumbersome with a bass player. i don't want to hog their frequencies (like so many keyboardists do, ha ha ha!)

btw, i'm playing gibson es333 neck or neck/bridge pups, tones on 5.
sounds great-till i get another itch. bob, what gtr r u playing?

i'd love to hear more suggestions for jazz tones from everyone. also some ideas for larry carlton sounds would be appreciated too!

dangit said:
i read somewhere here that keeping the channel masters lower and turning up output cleaned up the low end. the writer's idea was that turning up the ch master was putting too much into the circuit. (thank you to whoever wrote that-sorry i forgot who, or i'd gladly give u the credit u deserve for your help!).

i'd love to hear more suggestions for jazz tones from everyone. also some ideas for larry carlton sounds would be appreciated too!

That's contrary to the manual (P.6) but I'll qualify it saying that while it states cleanest it also sates least saturated sounds. I was just photo copying parts of the manual and finding clean tone is what I'm working on.

With 20 knobs and 10 switches I've still got a lot of learning to do and I'm going to note what I like for the different guitars and playing.

:)

bitflogger said:
dangit said:
i read somewhere here that keeping the channel masters lower and turning up output cleaned up the low end. the writer's idea was that turning up the ch master was putting too much into the circuit. (thank you to whoever wrote that-sorry i forgot who, or i'd gladly give u the credit u deserve for your help!).

That's contrary to the manual (P.6) but I'll qualify it saying that while it states cleanest it also sates least saturated sounds. I was just photo copying parts of the manual and finding clean tone is what I'm working on.

With 20 knobs and 10 switches I've still got a lot of learning to do and I'm going to note what I like for the different guitars and playing.

:)

yup
when in doubt, trust your ears!

I'll second the suggestion of keeping the Master down, like in the 9-10:00 range, and using the Output for volume. I'd also keep the Gain below 12:00 if you want to keep things clean and dry. Raise the gain if you want to warm things up, but you can put a lot of woof in the signal with the gain up above 12.

Latest posts

Back