Lonestar: Is it for me?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannabweiland

Reaction score
I've recently been looking into the Lonestar series. I've been playing modern/progressive rock/blues. I've been using my rackmounted Rectifier. Just wondered if the Lonestars would be worth getting rid of the Recto for. I've been debating on either getting a Lonestar, keeping the Recto, or getting an Orange Rockerverb.

I don't mind using overdrive pedals to get a heavier sound, but was wondering if the Lonestar is up my alley. Any Lonestar owners, I'd love your opinions and would also love to know how you use 'em. Thanks!

--T.J.

wannabweiland said:
I've recently been looking into the Lonestar series. I've been playing modern/progressive rock/blues. I've been using my rackmounted Rectifier. Just wondered if the Lonestars would be worth getting rid of the Recto for. I've been debating on either getting a Lonestar, keeping the Recto, or getting an Orange Rockerverb.

I don't mind using overdrive pedals to get a heavier sound, but was wondering if the Lonestar is up my alley. Any Lonestar owners, I'd love your opinions and would also love to know how you use 'em. Thanks!

--T.J.

If modern progressive rock is in your repertoire then the Lonestar is probably not suited for you.

Sounds like the Mark V is perfect for you though! Seriously!

I just sold my Lonestar and not because I was unhappy with it. It is an AWESOME amp for what it is made for.

You need more versatility from what I gather. The Lonestar isn't that wide in versatility.

jjboogie,

I had a Mark IV and enjoyed it for a total of 3 weeks. It just, for some reason, didn't hit the spot for me. Is the Mark V worth looking into if I didn't care for the Mark IV? Thanks for your feedback.

wannabweiland said:

--T.J.

Well, it works for me! :D I have a Lonestar Classic 1 x 12 w/ V30. It's mainly a matter of personal taste, so if you can get a hold of one and play it, and I mean really play it-not just in the store- that would be the best bet. Give one a test drive.

I play blues/classic rock/modern rock. I think it works great. I love the cleans of Channel 1. It is warm and lush. Many on here have described the tone as "a Fender Twin that has grown up." I think that is a good description. I have found that it brings out the best in my guitars. Not only that, it has brought out the personality and identity of each one. Channel 2 with the drive off get's you into that clean/break-up territory to overdrive. Ch. 2 w/ drive engaged gets you more OD/distortion with more harmonics & sustain. There are a couple of very good youtube vid's done by a member on this site (sorry, I forgot who :oops: ), I believe these are it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEmAqrbHHEs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FDVWHUosSg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbG5YGNAf64

I think the amp serves up some great tones, especially if you are going to use pedals for the high gain stuff.

Hope this helps!

-Lance

weren't you on the splawn boards for a while ?
I love my lonestar and IMHO it will do whatever you need it to do . Especially if you use pedals for the high gain .I would recommend doing the mods on it though like all mesas it has the flabby bottom end without the mods .

lance said:
Well, it works for me! :D I have a Lonestar Classic 1 x 12 w/ V30.
-Lance

You put a V30 in the 1x12 ope Back cab? How does it sound? Are you able to use the 100-watt setting or do you have to tweed mode/50watt setting it?

SyKrash said:
lance said:
Well, it works for me! :D I have a Lonestar Classic 1 x 12 w/ V30.
-Lance

You put a V30 in the 1x12 ope Back cab? How does it sound? Are you able to use the 100-watt setting or do you have to tweed mode/50watt setting it?

I bought it used last September, and it was already in it. When I tried it out, I used a Godin LGX. Straight into the cab, the cleans were very lush, it **** near sounded like it had a light chorus effect on it. (Warm Reverb setting.) I knew I would buy it before I even tried Channel two. Channel two sounds very good to me. More of a classic rock crunch than modern high gain, but I also use pedals to get me into that realm. (Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor). I have since done Reeder Mod 1, but to be honest, I would be happy with the mod or without. I also did the footswitchable gain mod on it, which basically turns it into a 3 channel amp, which I highly recommend. I play a Les Paul Standard, a PRS McCarty, a Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion, and a Fender Strat through it. (Mainly the McCarty, since it has coil tapping) All of them sound great through it. I don't do alot of gigging (probably 6 shows a year), mainly sub work for friends. This amp is plenty loud, and when we play the outdoor Festivals, I use a 4x12 cab w/ it. (I could probably get by without that too, as it is mic'ed up.)
Otherwise it still get's played a few hours a week at home.

I do things a little backwards than most as far as my settings. I like channel 1 on 50w and channel 2 on 100w. I prefer the tweed setting, but full power sounds good too, and I haven't had any problems. Why, is there something I should be concerned about using the V30 on "Full On"?

Another note: This is my first Mesa, and I was a little concerned about how I heard that they are hard to dial in. I had no problem finding a really good tone right away-although I was warned not to dime the tone controls, just set them around 12:00 and tweek from there.

One other thing I like about the amp, is that it has it's own voice. The groups I play with use Marshall's, Fenders, and Hughe's & Kettner amps. It blends nicely with all of those. The best complement I got was the first time I used it at a gig, the rest of the band was telling the other guitar player (who's like a mentor to me, and I wish I could play like him) to get rid of his Tri-Amp and get a Lonestar! They said it was the best I've ever sounded. Granted, I played an Ampeg Reverberocket before the Lonestar, but hey, I still like that amp!

Sorry for the long rambling post, but I figured telling you that the amp is great without putting it in the context of which I use it wouldn't be much help.

-Lance

Latest posts

Back