What LSS channel do you use dirt pedals on?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axman53

Reaction score
Hey, all. For as long as I've owed my LSS, I've run it this way: Channel 1 set for big clean sound with plenty of overhead. Set channel 2 for a slightly overdriven sound, then I use pedals to push it in various directions, including a BB Preamp, MI Audio Crunch Box, MI Audio Boost & Buff, and Skreddy Pig Mine. The DRIVE is always off. Now I'm thinking of going a totally opposite route, which is to set channel 2 for my high gain distortion sound with the DRIVE on and use channel 2 exclusively for that sound (probably completely eliminating the need for the MI Audio Crunch Box), then using some of the remaining dirt pedals on channel 1. Unfortunately to do this I'll probably have to compromise my clean sound. So I'd like to hear specifically how you use dirt/overdrive/distortion pedals with the LSS and which channel you like them on. In context, I'm talking about playing covers live where you need to get some different tones on the spot, not in the studio. Thanks for any comments!

I have tried a bunch of different configurations for the channels and the best tonally for me was what you were originally doing. (Clean channel one, dirty channel two with pedals for flavour). I hardly ever use the drive switch as I find it too 'woofy' especially in band situations. Also, I find it more versatile having dirt pedals on top of a crunchy channel 2. Fuzzes sound great on top of a breaking up amp, as do treble boosters (I use the Boost n' Buff as well).

I guess it depends on how much you are going for the high gain thing. I only need it on a couple tunes, so I'll use a pedal for it.

At the moment i am hitting ch1 and ch2 with my peds with a bit of a twist;
I have tried to voice ch2 similar to ch1 but with a little more top end to work with my humbucker guitars as they were a little dark sounding on ch1 which i have tweaked over the months to sound great with my TA tele
seems to be working at this point though i do love cranking up the gain on ch2 for fun!
I am running a Keeley BD-2, OCD, and radial Tonebone for various amounts of gain and it is killin'!!!!

So many options, but stick with what works for you!
I love my Lonestar
I am going to experiment with what it sounds like combined with my modified Fender BDRI at a few outdoor gigs this summer!

Out!
ADAM

In my experience, a really great 'no compromise' clean sound with some sparkle on top is not the best platform for overdrive pedals. And terrible for fuzz! The only drive pedals I really love on a proper clean amp are the ones with a 'clean blend' like the Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive and the T-Rex Møller.

On the other hand, a mid-rangey sound like the LSS channel 2, with the gain set around 1:00 and presence set low, takes every drive pedal like a champion. Set channel 2 for a good half-dirty Keith Richards sound and kick it up with a ZenDrive or a Tonebender... awesome.

I'm finding that channel 2 with the drive at 2 o'clock and gain at noon, the distortion is great! By adding a modded TS-9, it gets a little smoother with more gain for solos. Very sexy.

For a "country grit", I use a modded Boss SD to give it the grit. Very happy with that combination. I've never found a distortion pedal that beats a good amp's distortion.

Latest posts

Back