LSS: No Sound on 5w and 15w Setting

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mARKw

Reaction score
On my 5 and 15 watt settings, on both channels, I had no sound, but the 30w settings worked just fine. :?
Anyone else had this problem?

When I was switching the amp on, the 5Y3 tube would flash bright blue for an instant (but it didn't do it the next day). Replacing the 5Y3 tube fixed the problem; so how does that tube allow sound through the 30w setting but not the other two settings?

Is the 5Y3 the 'rectifier' tube - aka a pre-amp tube?

Cheers

The 5Y3 is the rectifier tube. It is not a pre amp tube. The LSS uses the rectifier tube in 5 and 15 watt settings, but uses a solid state rectifier on the 30w setting.

Well, that explains it, then. Thanks. I didn't know the 30w rectifier was solid state.

Now I do!

I just found this in the instructions:

...maximum headroom of the SILICON DIODES when the 30 watt setting is called up and brings up the 5Y3 rectifier tube for increased dynamic character and a juicy feeling sag when either 15 or 5 watts is chosen.

Kind of handy when the rectifier tube blows that you can still play in 30w mode :)

mARKw said:
Well, that explains it, then. Thanks. I didn't know the 30w rectifier was solid state.

Now I do!

I just found this in the instructions:

...maximum headroom of the SILICON DIODES when the 30 watt setting is called up and brings up the 5Y3 rectifier tube for increased dynamic character and a juicy feeling sag when either 15 or 5 watts is chosen.

Kind of handy when the rectifier tube blows that you can still play in 30w mode :)

Yep, the one criticism i've seen about the ls series is that the rectifiers aren't user assignable. 30 watt is automatically solid state and 5/15 are automatically tube. The user can't make that determination. It's not a big deal to me though.

Back