LSS loud vs LSC turned down CLEANS ONLY

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maury

Reaction score
My LSC cleans sounds wonderful when the amp can be turned up and allowed to breathe a little. When I have to turn it down to make the rest of the band happy, I'm not very impressed. Those of you who have played the LSS, can you help me? I know EL-84s aren't 6L6s, but in your opinion, can you find the sweet spot in a LSS and get big fat headroom cleans that would rival an LSC set to 50 watts that's turned down below its sweet spot?

Maury said:
My LSC cleans sounds wonderful when the amp can be turned up and allowed to breathe a little. When I have to turn it down to make the rest of the band happy, I'm not very impressed. Those of you who have played the LSS, can you help me? I know EL-84s aren't 6L6s, but in your opinion, can you find the sweet spot in a LSS and get big fat headroom cleans that would rival an LSC set to 50 watts that's turned down below its sweet spot?

In my experience, no. I struggle to get that "big fat headroom cleans" that you refer to at proper band volumes. Discounting low volumes for a sec, with a band the cleans are always "with hair". I suppose you could get there with swapping out high headroom valves, but stock, I would say no.

Also, what type of guitar you're using. For example, with my PRS513 set to singlecoils it cleans up much nicer than the same settings with it set to either of the humbucker settings.

To be clear, I can get clean, just "with hair" not "high headroom".

Hope this helps.

Simon

I found a pair of THD yellowjackets in my basement last night - woohoooo! Now I (kinda) have a LSC and a LSS. For my intents and purposes, anyway.

Maury said:
I found a pair of THD yellowjackets in my basement last night - woohoooo! Now I (kinda) have a LSC and a LSS. For my intents and purposes, anyway.

I'd love to hear what the yellowjackets and EL84s do to this amp. Personally I don't go for the kind of clean sound you talk about. I use humbucker and P90 guitars and like a bit of "hair" most of the time for rhythm. My one trick to clean things up is to drop my volume way down and stomp on the solo boost but I don't do this much.

Let us know what you find out.

Mark

That's a good idea about the solo function. I'll try and remember to record a little bit of my band's rehearsal if we get together this Monday.

Latest posts

Back