Okay to play acoustic guitar through my LSS?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mommysboy

Reaction score
Got an acoustic with an LR Bags Element pickup in it.
http://www.lrbaggs.com/EAS.htm

Any issues with me running that through my LSS?

This is an active pickup with a preamp, so you may find that the signal is a little on the hot side and causes your LSS to break up a little more easily than with passive pickups, but it won't damage anything. It may or may not sound very good, though.

Why not just pass it through the Loop Return? It's the power section input, and then you can control the overall volume with the master output control. The preamp is meant for high impendance instrument level guitar signals.. probably won't work very well.

I had to use my Lonestar for acoustic guitar at a gig last month and it sounded surprisingly good. I used the clean channel of course, and it didn't sound as good as DI'ing into the PA but I was pleasantly surprised at how it sounded. Hadn't planned on doing that but we got set up quickly, in a bit of confusion, and totally forgot to DI the acoustic. When it came time to use the acoustic I just plugged into the amp and went with it. I kicked on the chorus pedal to sweeten it a bit.

Telemaster said:
I had to use my Lonestar for acoustic guitar at a gig last month and it sounded surprisingly good. I used the clean channel of course, and it didn't sound as good as DI'ing into the PA but I was pleasantly surprised at how it sounded. Hadn't planned on doing that but we got set up quickly, in a bit of confusion, and totally forgot to DI the acoustic. When it came time to use the acoustic I just plugged into the amp and went with it. I kicked on the chorus pedal to sweeten it a bit.
would it be ok to plug my electro-acoustic guitar into the the return jack of my mesa studio 22+? would it sound ok for a little outdoor gig?thx

I'd say to be very cautious with plugging acoustics into electric amps. Though it works, and can sound pretty darn good while doing so I wouldn't put my 100% stamp of approval on it for long term use. Electric amps have a frequency range that is a bit more focused towards that of the magnetic pickups in electric guitars. Active acoustic preamps can push in a lot of lows and highs that a lot of electric amps aren't use to processing on a normal basis. I know a lot of people who have plugged their acoustics into their electric amps for years and they've been fine, but I also know of some people that got carried away by treating it the same as a PA or acoustic amp and ended up blowing more than a tube. If you're plugging into the input I'd highly recommend going into the low input (or selecting the -10db switch) and running the gain very low with the eq fairly flat and doing only minor tweaks.

Latest posts

Back