LSS Combo split to head/cab Now What?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajame13

Reaction score
So I had a custom cab built for my LSS head and bought a 1 x 12 c-90 cab. Now I have the original combo cab with the 2 16 ohm C-90 speakers and an opening where the amp use to be.

My question is, what issues are there in micing the speakers in the old cab given I have that wide opening in front? Does the sound get comprimised? Has anyone ever tried this and what was your experience?

Thanks

Well first, we want to see pics

But as for the hole, I think you might get some weird low overtones similar to what happens when people take a speaker out of a 412 or 212. It won't necessarily sound bad, but you might need to compensate for something. The best thing you could do is make before and after clips of the amp using the same settings and mic placements and then post the clips here so we can put our heads together.

The cab design is key to a standardized tone. Having an open back and front is not going to work very good for obtaining one. A mic would be reproducing the tone from a sub standard cab, having a front and back port. Moth ball the combo cab. Get a 2x12 ext cab for those speakers when G.A.S kicks in.

Thanks for the replies! They definately helped me think about this in some new ways. Think I'll be keeping it in storage for awhile until GAS hits again. And it will, it will............

You can use your old combo cab, but you'll have to fill that hole in the front first. otherwise, you'll get major phase cancellation

Cut a piece of 1 X 4 to fit, cover it with matching tolex, attach it with brackets inside the amp, and you have an extension cab.

yeah i was wondering about filling the whole angle. Thanks everyone it's good to have these options

I'm going to split my pig soon. I'm going to fill the front hole on the speaker cab with a piece of curly maple. The head will be black tolex for durability with a curly maple insert below the control panel.

thanks for the reply bottle rocket, you got me thinking of the cosmetic angle now. yours should look sharp

Couple of questions

Are head shells readily available from Mesa or are people making their own or is there another maker? I am in the UK so I expect I would have to get Westside to order one if I wanted one from Mesa. Anyone dealt with Westside?

Thanks for any replies.

Tom

srry to dig this thread up, but I was wondering if anyone has photos of a combo that has been converted into a speaker cab (hole filled in), and if it sounds ok in the end.

Latest posts

Back