Are there any weird problems with getting the foot switch

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Reaction score
...to work right on a LSS?

I tried a couple different good quality stereo cables and the solo usually works ok, but the channel switching is intermittant! I wonder if Mesa uses cheap 1/4" jacks in the foot switch or maybe the jacks in mine are dirty from non use? :?:

I would try taking the footswitch out of the equation. I think if you plug the footswitch cable into the amp but leave it disconnected from the foot switch, then you can see if the switch functions work by shorting tip to ground and then ring to ground, on the unplugged cable end, using an opened up paperclip or similar. If the amp switches then you know you have a faulty footswitch.

Thom

Cannot really help on this, since I'm getting a weird thing with channel selecting on my LSC head's footswitch too; it's not "intermittant" like Dr. Tweedbucket, but it doesn't switch between channels flawlessly: it always works but when I push the switch the sound doesn't come out immediately.

Don't know how to explain it clearly, but it seems to me like there's a sort of "fade-in" in the sound after switching from a channel to the other; I mean if I push the switch while I'm playing, I lose what I'm doing in the exact moment I press it, as if there was a break in the soundwave, a little but noticeable moment of silence during the switching process.

Gotta say that I always had this problem since I bought my used LSC head...the wasn't the original Mesa stereo cable, so I bought another one that seems to work great since the Solo switch does is job perfectly.

D'you guys know what the problem could be?
Thanks a lot! :wink:

Here's my method for keeping the footswitch alive and happy. Shoot some contact cleaner into the footswitch input jack and twist the connector to clean the contact points. Do the same at the amp end. I do that about once a month. Can't explain why it needs it - have taken the switch apart and diagnosed it for glitches to no avail - but it does do the job. And make sure you are using a good quality TRS cable with solid soldering connections. I also reinforce wrap the cable ends to the cable with black cloth gaffers tape to insure there's no funkyness between the cable and the connector. Sort of a stage hand's heat shrink. It helps.

Telemaster said:
Here's my method for keeping the footswitch alive and happy. Shoot some contact cleaner into the footswitch input jack and twist the connector to clean the contact points. Do the same at the amp end. I do that about once a month. Can't explain why it needs it - have taken the switch apart and diagnosed it for glitches to no avail - but it does do the job. And make sure you are using a good quality TRS cable with solid soldering connections. I also reinforce wrap the cable ends to the cable with black cloth gaffers tape to insure there's no funkyness between the cable and the connector. Sort of a stage hand's heat shrink. It helps.
I absolute quote this...contact cleaner is one of the best things to keep jacks and plugs in good shape.

Anyway, that's not enough in my case...to be honest I don't even know if that's really a "problem" goin' on with my footswitch, but I still hear that sort of gap when I switch channels. I cannot really make comparisons since every sample I can find on the net doesn't show a channel switching during a played part.

I know this would take time and patience, but this community is the only place I can really find good informations about my amp, so I make a request to LSC owners (guess LSS would work the same, but the best would be a LSC head like mine): could you please record a little sample (audio or video) including a few channel switching back and forth from CH1 to CH2 during a strummed part? A single chord strumming would be just perfect for the purpose...just strum a chord with a tight pattern and during this switch channels a few times without stopping playing. I'd really need to listen how that should work to see if mine is faulty or not.

If someone's willing to help, please let me know even in private.
Thanks so much for help guys! :wink:

lonestarpaul said:
I know this would take time and patience, but this community is the only place I can really find good informations about my amp, so I make a request to LSC owners (guess LSS would work the same, but the best would be a LSC head like mine): could you please record a little sample (audio or video) including a few channel switching back and forth from CH1 to CH2 during a strummed part? A single chord strumming would be just perfect for the purpose...just strum a chord with a tight pattern and during this switch channels a few times without stopping playing. I'd really need to listen how that should work to see if mine is faulty or not.

If someone's willing to help, please let me know even in private.
Thanks so much for help guys! :wink:
...can anyone help on this? Thanks a lot! :wink:

Yo Tweed ... I've replaced 2 footswitches already on my classic ...
At $90 bucks a piece ... Quch!!

lucidology said:
Yo Tweed ... I've replaced 2 footswitches already on my classic ...
At $90 bucks a piece ... Quch!!

ouch is right :?

I'd definitely recommend using the contact cleaner. that worked wonders for my efx loop issues. spray the end of a plug, and plug it in and out of the jack a few times.

I have a LSS, and luckily it's changing channels ok, but I'm having an issue with the reverb when changing channels.

right now, I have both reverbs set around 9 o'clock or less. when I change channels, the reverb gets cavernous for a second and then drops down to the correct setting. I'll have to see if it does this when I switch channels from the amp, but I really noticed this when using the footswitch.

I think it may be the V4 tube. I'll have to try switching in a different one. lately I have limited time to futz with this stuff. I'm ready to call the local repair shop to see if they'll give her a check up and if covered under warranty.

Reverb splash! I think all the Pigs do it. Design flaw. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I have a post in the archives on making your own footswitch. Cost....$10-20 bucks.
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=40094

When I bought my LSC (used), the channel switch would act really goofy. It would switch occasionally when I used it, and sometimes the channel would switch when I hit the solo switch. I had a good friend look at it, (**disclaimer** I'm not real technically inclined, I may not use the right terms :( ) It turned out, when we looked at the guts of the footswitch, one of the relays? (metal lines in the pcb) was "broken" (had a hairline crack in the metal . All it took was a little wire and solder and the footswitch was fixed (jumpered). The reason it would occasionally switch the channels when I hit the solo button was if I stomped on it hard enough, the pcb would flex enough to make the connection! I imagine this is why it was cracked in the first place. Note to self: easy on that footswitch when you're rocking! I haven't had any problems since.

Latest posts

Back