Any thoughts on turning my lonestar special into a 2x10

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robnutting

Reaction score
Hey there folks,
I've been looking at celestion gold speakers a lot recently and been trying to decide if I wanted to take the plunge, and then tonight I was looking on Mesa's website and saw that the 4x10 is the same width as the 1x12. I haven't done the reeder mod or anything, but I got to thinking that switching to a 10 inch speaker might help with this. And if I can fit another 10 in there... Well why not? I like the idea of putting two celestion G10 golds in there. I don't any thoughts anyone? Has anyone turned their LSS into a 2x10?
Thanks a bunch
rob

I think it would probably sound great, but how would you propose modifying the baffle to take 2 x 10 inch speakers? Maybe just stick a 12 inch gold in, much less hassle. I have done both Reeder mods on my LSS, they are simple to do if you can solder and have a bit of experience in doing this kind of thing, and in my opinion these mods really improve the amp, but others may, (and do), disagree. My LSS seems to sound better and better all the time and I love it, however: I am waiting for delivery of 2 new speakers for my LSS 2 x 12, bit of an experiment really; all will be told shortly!

Best Regards.....

I agree. Modifying the baffle would be a pita, if not totally impossible. If you try to do that, you might damage the combo's cab. I have seen some retro fit insert thingy on the web somewhere for gettting a 10" speaker into a 12" hole. But that would get ya a 1x10 combo. An ext cab would be the simplest thing. And the mix of a 12 + 10's would be awesome. Don't hack the combo!

Ive been playing around with a CG I bought used on ebay. IMO it negates the tone mods. I once looked into changing to tens and now Im happy how tight and somewhat scooped the CG 12 is.

Thanks for the responses guys, I think you are right to tell me not to "hack" the combo. I'm going to purchase a celestion gold and go from there. Thanks for the advise guys!
rob

Latest posts

Back