Do you use or like your tweed switch?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plan-x

Reaction score
I was never really able to cozy up with this tone. How bout you? whats your take? :?:

I like it. I haven't used it too much lately, but I remember liking it. I was playing at bedroom levels and in the bedroom. I haven't tried it loud.

With 6l6's I prefer Hi voltage. But with El-34's tweed has a sweeter break up. I've yet to try 6v6's, been gassin for some. Still not complety satisified with the Lonestar. Needs something?

I actually use Tweed most of the time now. I need to be able to keep the volume down, and at this point Tweed gives me a good enough level and still lets me dial in some good mojo. I'm using 6V6s and EL34s.

In my 1st show with my new LSC, I freaked out trying to get a good clean on Tweed on a big stage in a big room -- wasted sound check trying to deal with what seemed like a sudden failure of what had been a perfect setup during rehearsals. It quickly turns to mush at anything higher than moderate levels. I was bummed... until I remembered that I was using the Tweed setting, and I never had the problem again.

So it isn't good for any amount of really clean headroom. The cleans will break up at anything beyond the levels I play at usually. When I do run into mushiness, it's easily solved by just switching over to full power, but I haven't needed to do that for a while. Most of the time it's just perfect, juicy furry cleans and a great saturated drive.

plan-x said:
I was never really able to cozy up with this tone. How bout you? whats your take? :?:

I use the Tweed settings about 98% of the time. Just because I like the tone and the way it feels.

It feels more vintage to me with just enough break up to smooth out the tone.

I don't play with super clean tones. I like blues clean.

Thanks guys for your input. With this amp, the more you know, the more stuff you can dial in. With a regular playing 3 piece band, one is hesitant to change settings for fear of loosing them after it took so long to find em.

plan-x said:
Thanks guys for your input. With this amp, the more you know, the more stuff you can dial in. With a regular playing 3 piece band, one is hesitant to change settings for fear of loosing them after it took so long to find em.

Do what I do, photograph your favorite setup just in case....

I find this amp to be very pickup sensitive. I dont care for my strat sound with tweed, but I love my 335 Humbuckers with tweed. In fact , I am haveing a hard time with the strats period. The 335 seems to be a match made in heaven. :)

I have used it a few times but always ended up kicking back to the 50 watt setting after a few tunes. Although I like the tone it produces, especially with humbuckers.

I keep it on the Tweed setting almost all the time. I keep channel 1 on the 50w setting and channel 2 on 100. I know, seems a little backwards from conventional settings, but I love how the clean channel is just about to break up (using a PRS McCarty with the coils split 80% of the time) and how tight the crunch is on channel two. This works in a 5 piece band with 3 guitarists that I fill in for, and a party rock band that occasionally gigs. The (guitar) volume knob controls the amount of break up. Sounds great for rock & roll. In fact, when I bought the amp, I demo'd it on the tweed channel, loved it, and have hardly used it on full. Maybe I'm missing a whole palette of tones that I've yet to discover......that is an exciting thought. :D

Latest posts

Back